Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 10:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

I put the dyna cdi on my 04'p700, I've always had to give my bike a little throtle when starting it, guess most all p650 and p700 owners do. Now when I do it makes the motor kickback. My friends p650 with the dyna does it also. His kicked back on him today now there is a pecking sound in the motor. Has anyone had this problem? I read the forum almost everyday and haven't seen anything about this problem yet.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Range Rover

My 03 kicks back with the Dyna as well, still trying to figure out why.

Any ideas?

Old 04-25-2004, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer

Mine does it too sometimes. I am not really worried about it yet.

Old 04-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

I tried nyrocs test CDI out yesterday the 24th. Although I only started it two times with the test CDI the starter/engine never kicked back. I was also running 87octane.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

mine also does this every now and then and I have an FST cdi, it hasn't been a problem yet, I do now make sure that I dont let go of the starter bottom to early.

Old 04-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Could someone elaborate on 'kicked back' ?

Old 04-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Range Rover

The best way I can describe it is when it shuts down, or fails to start after hitting the starter, the motor seems to throw an extra crank in there that was never there before, and "kickback" is about the best word I can think of to describe the action. I had many old dirtbikes that did the same thing for various reasons, but I never heard it out of my Prairie before I put on the Dyna. It doesnt have me that worried really, but knowing the cause might give me some peace of mind about it. I just hate the thought of the engine giving that last strange stroke on shutdown,or failed startup, cause I'm worried that theres no oil in the crank when it does it. I dont want to destroy my sleeves or pistons, ect. cause theres no lubrication in the crank for that last stroke of the engine. Make any sense? Prolly not, but it does in my mind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Any ideas from you internal guru's would be appreciated, thanks again.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

I didnt realize it was doing it when turn off the engine. Only thing I see it being hard on is the starter. If its doing it on shutdown then I dont know about that.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Range Rover

wow thought it was me same response here now starter is making noise also jetting is fat at 1/4 throttle might have to take shims out blacked out front plug ?

Old 04-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

The kickback is only happening due to the advance. They set the initial advance to get best performance, at the expense of easy starting.

if your optimal advance is 5 degrees at starting, and the CDI is more advanced by a few degrees, one slightly slower crank could cause the combustion soon enough to slow the crank down and stop the motor.

I was using 89 octane when I tried the CDI.

1. I do not believe that it is going to harm anything. The pressures in the cylinder at idle are small. I am still guessing but I think hitman's friend is hearing a normal sound and is just alerted to it now. The shoes made noise on mine even before the CDI went in. I don't think we should be alarmed about the kickback. SGTrock has been using the prototype for miles without issues.
2. If we change cams. we need to make sure to have a working compression release or we will have more troubles starting.
3. Anyone using an advance key with their CDI is going to have this problem much worse. I'm not gonna do it.

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.