Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

87 mojave boggs and stutter on full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 mojave boggs and stutter on full throttle

i run 87 with an occasional tank of 89

Old 04-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

That's cool if that's what works for you. I'm just trying to help the guy get his quad runnin good. Octane has been a factor with some of my machines in the past. I don't want to argue what you get away with running in your fairly new sport quads, or old utes. or whatever machines you have. He's got an old Kaw, old Kaw's need a little extra kick in their cheerio's to get up in the morning. And besides, I don't see you runnin out the mouth tryin to help the guy. You give him one half azzed suggestion, leave him hangin, then have the nerve to question advice that I'm giving him from personal experience? That's weak man. Unless you got a good reason why he shouldn't try something that has worked for someone else, don't say anything. Sometimes it's the simple things that cause the biggest problems.

Old 04-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

a mojave has high compression so you do need to run premium gas.

As for the problem I think you may have two things. You mentioned that when it winds out it starts sputtering and quits making power, that is probably the rev limiter coming in. You need to learn to shift just before that happens. The bogging at wide open throttle is most likely jetting. Somebody may have went up to many sizes when they put the pipe on and did the carb. I have seen the same thing happen when the filter inside the tank gets restricted and the float level is too low when you nail it so it bogs. Take the fuel petcock out, it has two screws holding it in. Look at it and you will see a little nylon sock on it. Tear that sock off and make sure the tube is clean and clear. Then add an in line fuel filter in the rubber hose from your tank to your carb.

back to the jetting, stock jet is a 132. with a pipe and filter mod you usually need a 135. check and see what main is in it. If it has a jet kit like a dynojet in it then the numbers are different. I think while I had the carb off I would put in a 135 and then work from there.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you mojaveaddict for backing me up. See bing, I wasn't talkin out my azz.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for all the help this a great web site I took off the carb cleaned it out and now it runs like a champ.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear it crenshaw. Now go ride it like you stole it. Go big or go home.

Old 05-23-2004, 02:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: craZ400
That's cool if that's what works for you. I'm just trying to help the guy get his quad runnin good. Octane has been a factor with some of my machines in the past. I don't want to argue what you get away with running in your fairly new sport quads, or old utes. or whatever machines you have. He's got an old Kaw, old Kaw's need a little extra kick in their cheerio's to get up in the morning. And besides, I don't see you runnin out the mouth tryin to help the guy. You give him one half azzed suggestion, leave him hangin, then have the nerve to question advice that I'm giving him from personal experience? That's weak man. Unless you got a good reason why he shouldn't try something that has worked for someone else, don't say anything. Sometimes it's the simple things that cause the biggest problems.
Dude, where did these comments all come from (the ones I put in BOLD above? Read back through and read what BING said. He suggested taking the carb off and checking it himself, vs paying somebody else. What's wrong with that? Why is that a half a$$ suggestion. He asked a question (one word at that), How can you read anything into that? it was just a question, nothing more. then just made a comment on what he uses, nothing more than that. He didn't "question" anything you said. Didn't say a negative word about anything. Before you spout off, might want to read a little better, or at least try to understand what you are reading. I think your comments were way out of line and off base.