Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

A result of following NYROCS orders...........

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A result of following NYROCS orders...........

Ok.......I was checking my front motor mt bolt as instructed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and while I was there I notcied the seal on the front diff is leaking.I do not mean a seep it actually has gotten the frame damp below it.
My mount seems tight but it does not look centered......I wonder if this could cause an alignment issue on the front drive shaft making the seal go prematurely???There is no vibration and everything works well. Has anyone else had to replace that seal before??? IT also seems to have some slop if you wiggle it........the drive shaft that is.......mainly at the differential.........any ideas would be appreciated.
02 650 Camo

Old 05-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

I found the same thing. My motor mount bolt was loose, got about 2-3 turns on it before proper torque. I had the same thought about that seal, had to replace mine also. I took it out and went to the local bearing suppliers and they had one in stock, I believe 42mm od x 28mm id x 7mm deep. I also noticed that the shaft does wiggle a bit where it goes into the diff, no leakage though so probably nothing to worry about??. Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply.After you got the driveshaft out was the seal easy to get out? Is that all you have to remove (the driveshaft?).Once again thanks for the reply!
02 650 camo

Old 05-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Range Rover

How did you get the front driveshaft out? Mine got a stick in the front case drive shaft seal, and it leaks a little when it sits. But it looks like I'd have to remove the front Diff in order to get the shaft out? Any words of experience would be greatly appreciated. I have a seal puller tool for the seal, but getting the shaft out looked like a PITA!!..

Old 05-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Someone might have an easier way, but anytime I've removed my motor the shaft came out by removeing the motor mount bolts and rolling the motor a little. the shaft is spring loaded so it will compress some to give some clearance.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

I looked in my shop manual and it appears that you just roll the retainers back on the boots on both ends and the shaft pushes backwards and comes out.It looks like just spring tension holds it in there.This may not be as bad as I thought.800 miles seems a little early for a seal failure though which is how many miles mine has.
02 650 camo

Old 05-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Range Rover

Driveshaft comes out real easy, just pop the o-rings out of the grooves on the boots then slide the fat part of the shaft ahead? and pop it out. The o-ring closest to the motor I left in the groove once the shaft and boot were off, seal fits over it just fine. I had to sharpen up a small screwdriver to pop out the seal. Haven't put the shaft back in yet, but I think the only pain is going to be getting the small o-ring by the engine back into place. Have fun.