Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Maxxis Bighorn Radial problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxxis Bighorn Radial problem

Thanks for the info, I will try and run mine for a few weeks and see, just need to get rid of this rain so I can go play.

Old 05-15-2004, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

I have ridden my Bighorns about 75 miles now with no improvement. I jacked the bike up so all four wheels could spin and my tires were not excessively out of round. My big issue is that I bought what I thought would be premium tires and an improvement over the stockers but if all I can do is put around and not go over 25, it kind of limits the fun. My right front tire feels like it is doing the lions share of the shaking. If I thought I could get a tire store to spin balance the rims with stick on weights without going over a couple of ounces, I would be willing to try. I have tried three local tire shops and all three say the rims won't work on their equipment. Has anyone else had luck with a tire shop balancing ATV tires?

Old 05-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Range Rover

Tonerpuke

If yours are that bad I would try and get a refund ASAP from who ever you got them, Mine are not that bad, I'm going to take mine out on a trip and run them round for a weekend and then see what they do, I agree with the problem about the mounting and remounting, I was thinking about sending my rims and tires in and let them take off and replace them. I'll have to see. good luck

Old 06-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

The new tires will have a colored dot on them. That is where the tire shop should put the wheel weight. Maxxis is prebalancing them before shipment and putting a dot there so you know where the weight should go. They have updated the production process so that they come out much more balanced in the first place. When you have your dealer ship you new ones make sure they have the dots before they ship out. That's how you will know you are getting the tires that are updated. The dealers will probably try to ship you the old stock since they want to get rid of it. Don't let them.

Old 06-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem with my Titan 589s. I took them back to a <u>different</u> tire shop (closer to my location) than the one I bought them from, and he phoned Titan right away. They said no problem and sent me a new pair pronto. The guy at the tire shop even mounted them for free when they came in, and he wasn't the guy I bought them from in the first place!! I bought the guy a box of beer and he now has a loyal customer. Long story short, After I set my toe-in to 0, my quad handles good and there is no shimmy.

Old 06-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

DOH..I just ordered a set of maxxis BH's and If mine are as bad as this Im gonna be bent.....I guess I didnt know the problem was so wide spread..I had heard of it but was thinking that even the best quality control will let some stuff slide...NUTZ...

Old 06-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

I just took my bighorns and rims to auto tire dealer today to try to get them balanced. Bottom line was one front was out of balance 15 oz and the other 17 oz. Dealer could not add enough stick on weight in the limited space to get them balanced. He also said 17 oz out of balance was ridiculous. Even semi tires do not need that much weight. I am in process of trying to get maxxis to ship me replacements and have the same local tire store mount them. My ATV dealer struggled for almost two hours to mount them and the car tire dealer mounted them in about two minutes with no damage. (He tried to demount the tire and remount them 180 degrees from where they were in an attempt to improve the balance).

The regular tire balancing machine he had worked well on the front rims, but the rear rims have rivets that hold the re-inforcing ring on and protrude from the opposite side of the rim interfering with the balancing machine. It looks like to balance the rears, the rivets would have to be removed and then replaced after balancing. All in all, I would go to the auto tire in a heart beat over my ATV dealer. Oh yeah, he spent about 20 minutes on my tires today and refused to accept any payment for trying to balance my tires.

Old 06-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

15-17 ounces is a lot.
My Mudrunners took 1.25 ounces each.

I will order the Bighorns when the updated ones come out. I have been waiting for a few months.

Old 06-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Im gonna be bent if mine are that wacky....=(

Old 06-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Range Rover

17 ounces of weight needed to balance a new tire on a new rim is an indication that something is seriously wrong internally with the tire. (belt section missing, rubber density ie large air bubble in the rubber). I would not trust them in their current condition for anything even mildy away from civilization on my quad. those things could leave ya stranded.

Quick Reply: Maxxis Bighorn Radial problem