Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

p700 gas leak??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p700 gas leak??

I rode me p700 and parked it. I came back out and I saw a round puddle under it. I thought it was oil at first but looked closer and it was gas. The only thing I can think of is the rubber tube from the carbs that drains out. Why would gas come out of there or is it something else. It has 200 miles on it. Any help would be great.

Old 06-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Range Rover
Default p700 gas leak??

Maybe start by checking the flow and vent lines? Make sure all the connections around the carb are tight, with only 200 miles, I'd but something vibrated loose. Gotta be a simple solution there, I haven't seen a topic about gas seepage with the Prairie yet. Check those gas lines first. The rubber tube that comes down is the overflow line, I'm sure it's not uncommon to see it actually working.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default p700 gas leak??

I just rode it again and had the fan come on a few time. Man does that fan run a lot. My dad has a Grizzly and it hardly ever runs unless you work it. I watched the overflow line and nothing has come out. Not sure why it did it the first time. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default p700 gas leak??

Check your fuel petcock & fuel liine where it attaches to petcock(fuel shut-off valve). Mine gets gas on my hand sometimes when I shut it off, but, I never got a puddle.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default p700 gas leak??

It was comeing from the back left side where the overflow is. That is the only place I can see where it would come from. Do all p700 fans run a lot? I feel that mine runs way too much. Should I change to synthetic oil on my next oil change? I was told that makes it run cooler. What do you guys think?

Old 06-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default p700 gas leak??

Check your oil also to be on the safe side. Ive seen a several prarie fill the crankcase full of gas. I dont think the 700's have this problem much, but check and smell it anyway.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default p700 gas leak??

well I check and smelled the oil dip stick tonight, and it had a gas smell. I thought for sure I would smell oil but it smelled more like gas. Tomorrow I will drain some out and see if it smells like gas. How would gas get in the crankcase? Any other suggestions? Thanks Trailride for the heads up.

Old 06-18-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default p700 gas leak??

Oil will have a slight gas smell to it anyway. If your oil level was close to full , like it always is then its probably ok. When you pull your dipstick hold it up and if it runs off the stick easy, then you have gas in your oil. But just having gas in your oil wont make a puddle under your quad. Your choke springs get stuck and coases your bowls to overflow. This will fill the cylinder with gas , leak past your piston into your crankcase. Now i have heard of a Vforce that had a puddle and his exhaust header was full of gas. Id really have to see your problem before i say what it is. Just check all your tubes and connections like mentioned before.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default p700 gas leak??

Originally posted by: Executioner
well I check and smelled the oil dip stick tonight, and it had a gas smell. I thought for sure I would smell oil but it smelled more like gas. Tomorrow I will drain some out and see if it smells like gas. How would gas get in the crankcase? Any other suggestions? Thanks Trailride for the heads up.
Iwas told by the local Kawi tech that when you are leaving your bike for any lenght of time, you should turn off your gas at the valve. He told me that there has been times that the gas will syphon out of the tank and I would think that the gas would end up in your oil. My '04 700 does have a fan that seems to run alot in the warm temps, but being around other 700's and 360's, I think it is a Kawi thing. I see the new Brute Force 750 has a bigger rad, so I think that Kawi knows they have a little problem there. I have a friend with a Polaris 500 and his fan would run alot when we stop, if he would leave his ignition on. Good luck

Old 06-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default p700 gas leak??

The longest I would leave my p700 would be a week without rideing it. Should I shut if off just to be safe anyways?

Quick Reply: p700 gas leak??