Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

checked oil today and it was really liquidy and smelled of gas?? (P650)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checked oil today and it was really liquidy and smelled of gas?? (P650)

What do you suppose is the problem. I know that in the past if you don't turn off your gas lever than it will leak gas into the cynlinders, but into the oil?? It's about time for an oil change anyway but why would it smell of gas and be black and real liquidy (very little viscosity).

Thanks

Old 06-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, gas leaking from the carbs sometimes get stopped in the port, but if it gets past the port it never stops for long in the cylinder. It always leaks into the crankcase if left long enough.

I don't know why it is so black. Hopefully you didn't run the engine with gas in the oil, other than to start it and maybe put put around for a second.

If you did run it, the gas did a really good job of cleaning stff in there. Also, gas ruins seals. If you run it hard, gas doesn't lube well enough and could have caused damage whether you notice that damage now or not. Get it out. It may still stink of gas after you put good oil in it.

I would say run it a long time after changing the oil to get the residual of gas out that stayed in during the change (change the filter too).

Old 06-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

The gas will leak into the cylinder from leaving the gas turned on and then down into the oil from there since the gas is thinner than oil it gets past the rings pretty easy. That will make your oil thin and smell like gas but it should be turning it brown not black so i'm not sure why its black other than its real dirty.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Range Rover

thanks, I really don't know how gas leaked down there though. I've experienced the "gaslock" thing on my 650. Ever since, I don't turn it off without turning off the gas valve also. So how it leaked is beside me?

I'm changing the oil tonight, Nyroc should I change it then run it down the road for a good while, then change it again, or only if it still looks or smells bad?

Oh yea, what other things could have been damaged and what should I do to prevent this.

Mike, the oil was definetly black not so dark as to look burnt or anything just real dirty I suppose.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure if thin oil would hurt the bearings or the gears or the rings first.

After you cahnge it, there won't be much gas in there. It may stink, but just ride it.

You can prevent it by
1. Always open the cap when you park it (not 100% foolproof, but appears that it works).

2. Turn the gas off.

3. Fix the tank breather so that it can't build pressure as temp and barometric pressure changes. Run it up to the same place the other breathers go.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Does anyone know if kawi actually put in a stop valve in the new Brute Force? This is a pain in the but that everyone seems to face. Or maybe they put a breather on the gas tank? I wonder if Kawi even knows about these little problems we all experience.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep ... if ya don't turn that petcock off she'll drown your cylinders. Thre is a company that makes an aftermarket petcock for motorcycles that seals itself without manual shutoff .... don't know why it would'nt work for our 650's. It'a alot easier and safer to just remember to shut it off ,,, think of a $1500.00 repair bill and you will everytime. And yes gas diluted oil will ruin the bearings and piston rings !

Old 06-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Range Rover

A friend I let borrow my P400 managed to ride it all day with the choke on all the way. (Said it rode really sluggish, imagine that) Did the same thing. I think the black color might be from the resulting extremely rich mixture. Changed my oil and all was well.

Old 06-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

howdy,
I am not familiar with this bike,,,,,but is it possible that you may have a needle that isnt seating properly,,causing a slow overflow of the carb/carbs.

Old 06-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

HI THERE MATE , YOUR FLOAT VALVE IN ONE OF YOUR CARBS OR BOTH MAY BE STICKING , THERE ARE SEATS WHICH SOMETIMES PERRISH OR TRAP DIRT , WHEN SITTING PARKED UP . THE GAS RUNS INTO THE HEADS , SOMETIMES IF YOU TRY TO START THE ENGINE CAN HYDRAULIC LOCK . THE GAS CAN ALSO LEAK BY THE RINGS INTO THE SUMP . THE FLOAT VALVES ARE REPLACABLE AND AN EASY FIX , TRY LOOKING UP VEHICLE INFORMATION AT ... http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?. THERE IS A PARTS PAGE . MY ADVICE IS TO WARM ENGINE AT IDLE , DRAIN OIL AND CHANGE FILTER , AFTER YOU FIX VALVES . HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT , HAPPY TRAILS

Quick Reply: checked oil today and it was really liquidy and smelled of gas?? (P650)