Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2004 bayou 250 running rough, almost new

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 bayou 250 running rough, almost new

I've tried everything I'm comfortable with and no luck. To get it to stay running I have to adjust the mixture screw up 1 1/2 - 2 turns more than it was last year.

Also, when I stored it, I put in the stabilizer and let it run 2-3 minutes to make sure it circulated through the system. I even rode it for a bit today to see if that would make a difference and it still stalled when I let it idle. I guess I'll take it in this week and let them do their oil change, valve check etc. I'm sure its something minor but I'd rather have them check it out just to make sure. If you have any other ideas let me know. Thanks, Greg

Old 07-26-2004, 07:01 AM
Range Rover

yeah heres an idea - if its not under warranty - dont take it in. There is nothing wrong with what you are describing that you cant fix on your own. Why pay the possibly 100's of dollars that you are going to pay a stealer when all he is going to do is clean your carb??? Seriously, buy a manual for your bike. It breaks it down into really simple step by step stuff. If you can make hamburger helper, you can rebuild your carb. It really is that simple. Buy a manual and see what it says about takin apart and puttin back together the carb. Biggest thing is to have a clean work area where you arent gonna lose a jet or a small piece. If after gettin a manual and you still arent comfy with it, then break down and take it to a stealer. Just give it the ole college try. Most of the maintenance guys they have at those places are idiots, tried and true. If they were any good, they wouldnt be taking the pittance they get paid as opposed to working for a racing team or a REAL shop. Stealers are around to sell bikes, not to work on them. They keep parts and service prices so high that the only way for someone to come out on top if they dont work on their own quad, is to buy a new one. Trust me. Walk in trying to get your bayou worked on, and even only being a year old, they are going to try to no end to sell you a newer more expensive quad. Sorry bout the rant but some things just tweak me.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer

I agree Alaskabayouguy, Id try cleaning the carb out,it still sounds like something doing with the carb. is stopped up.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe some good news. I've got a friend who has had 4 wheelers for a while and does quite a lot of work on his. His thought was also the carb/bowl. I'm thinking I can get him to help me with it. I'll stop by the dealership and buy a new spark plug tomorrow but will wait on taking it in until I try EVERYTHING. Keep the ideas coming. I'll also post when its fixed to let you all know what it was. Thanks again for all the input and encouragement. Where can I get a manual for it? Thanks, Greg

Old 07-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Range Rover

www.denniskirk.com - i think fer a manual. You can get a spark plug at any auto parts store. just take the old one in.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

I meant to answer this post yesterday and never got the chance---
ITS GOTTA BE BAD GAS____DRAIN THE TANK AND ADD FRESH STUFF____ I cant believe somebody hasnt already suggested this!!
It seems pretty obvious

Old 07-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

Hey there greg , donnt know the exact set up of your bike , is the bike runing ok on cold start up as in first thing in morning ??? then when you turn off choke it has problems ?? if so it could be a sticky choke , if not e,mail me and i will try my best bud, john

Old 07-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

SOLVED!!!!!!!!! First, I replaced the spark plug which helped quite a bit. Then I bought a can of sea foam fuel cleaner and ran an ounce or so straight through the carb inlet like it recommends. I turned it off and let it sit for about 5 minutes during which time I added the rest of the sea foam to the gas tank and sloshed it around. What an incredible difference. I road it for 10-15 minutes afterwards and it rode incredibly well. A few days ago I had adjusted the carb mix higher so that it would run without stalling. I probably had to back the idle screw off 1 1/2 turns or so because it was running way too high with the system cleaned out. Since I hadn't changed the oil yet I stopped by the dealer and bought an oil filter and replaced the filter and the oil. The only casualty in all this was the O-ring on the oil filter cover. I'll stop by the dealer again tomorrow and pick up a couple of these then I'll be set. I can't thank you all enough. I think I spent around 20 bucks today on what would have cost me more than 100 I'm sure if I would have taken it to the dealer. I just used standard 10w40 Castrol GTX, will this be OK? Thanks again all. If you tell me something different about the oil I'll pick up the Kawasaki oil tomorrow. Take care everyone and thanks again. Greg

Old 07-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

My god. I feel retarded. I'm like a little kid in a candy store. I'm going nuts to ride my atv again since its fixed. My 7 yr. old is on my heals to ride it too. He's hacked off that the o-ring is screwed. Of course, he doesn't understand but I wish this thing was fixed now so I could take him riding. This is too funny. I never felt this way all of last year when it was running fine. I guess I just got worried now since it wasn't running well. I'm glad its fixed. I hope I can sleep tonight. Y'all take care. Thanks again, Greg

Old 07-28-2004, 02:00 AM
Range Rover

I buy Fram oil filters, they come with a new o ring [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 2004 bayou 250 running rough, almost new