Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS

Whats a good GPS brand and what can I expect to pay?
What should I look for?

Old 07-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS

the garmin e-trex is a very good entry lvl gps and you can find them on sale here and there if you look for less than 100 bux
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=572125
or even one like that is powerful and reasonable

Old 07-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS

I have two Magellans. One I just picked up off e-bay, a Sport Trak Map. The other is a Sport Trak. I like the both of them, they have never given me any trouble at all.

It depends what you want to do with it, you can spend $150 or you can spend $1000. If all you want to do is make sure you don't get lost, then a base model is fine. If you want to plan trips with it, get one that will hook to a pc.

Stan

Old 07-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS

Garmin E-Trax is what I have. I bought it for true mph readings, distance readings and elevation. I didnt buy it for mapping out trails and things. I probably would have bought something a little nicer for that. But for what I wanted the E-trax is perfect.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Range Rover
Default GPS

I had a Megallen Spor Trac Pro, a very good mapping GPS, which can be had now for about $175 or less.
I just bought a Garmin 60c handheld color mapping GPS, sort of expensive $365
But my eyes are getting old and I like color screens.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS

Oxygen, where were you at about two weeks ago. I would have bought that instead of the Sprot Trak Map off e-bay. Oh well, you always find a better deal after you spend a lot of money.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS

I have a garmin etrex vista. It's a good gps with 24mb memory for topo or city maps. They lied about the rebate though, so that's it for garmin.

What I use mine for is topo map download and then laying down a track automatically with waypoints to follow in case you're not positive what turn to take coming or going. I can also do routing from the PC.

I could easily do without the download topos, which would result in a less expensive gps. Really, the only thing I want from a gps is coordinates and a track back with waypoints (your first waypoint would be your truck for example). Just about any of them will do that. You can get by for about $100 basic model.

(I'm disgusted with garmin about the rebate.)

Old 07-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS

Though the Rhino's are a little extra money, ( more than the basic GPS, & the radio ), it does have one very nice feature... if you have 2 Rhino's, it will show you the location of the other Rhino, on the GPS screen... this could come in handy for several types of use... also, spend the few dollars extra, for the water resistant units... it will get wet "sometime", & the water resistant units are also dust resistant, which is also very important...

Old 07-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS

I have an garmin etrex legend and love it. It use it to track all of my routes when I ride so I can get back out if I get caught after dark or anything else. I love the fack I can download topo maps to it and upload routes and way point to my PC. Its been wet many times so be sure to get one that is water proof/resistant. My next unit will be the rino 120 so that the wife and I can keep tabs on each other if we get separated.

kawiyowee - I did get my rebate but had to make sure I bought from an authorized dealer...

Old 07-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS

there are a bunch of rhino 110 gps+grms combo radio units on ebay for 55 bux each right now..although im sure there price will continue to climb..just FYI..