Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute Force too powerful?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute Force too powerful?

I was reading the latest issue of Dirt Wheels and it was the first test of the BF. They didn't like it too much, in fact, they didn't have much good to say about it at all.

They said it was too powerful for the chassis, and the handling was not good for higher speed. They said when they tried to take corners fast and power slide, the front wheels would not grip the trail. If they gave it gas to get it to slide, then the front end would come up and leave them with no turning traction.

My question to them is, didn't they expect this from a 50hp 600lb machine? I mean, this machine's power to weight ratio is unbelievable, so of course it will do wheelies on command.

They also said that it won't fair too well against the SP700 and other IRS machines on the trails. In a straight line nothing would touch it, but once you get in some nasty trails, the handling wasn't there.

So here's what DW has for a breakdown on the machine:

Pros:

Powerful
Great mudder
Nice slow speed suspension
Variable Diff lock
Comfortable
Great snorkeling

Cons:

Bad High speed handling
Too powerful for fast trail riding
Tended to wheelie on hills
Didn't like sidehilling

So lets hhear from some owners. Anyone agree with DW's assessments?

Old 07-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

its dirtwheels...give them a couple of months and chances are they will say nothing is even close to touching it at anything....

Old 07-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Right off the showroom floor, That sounds right to me! ( Stopped by the Dealer and looked at one last night.) Im sure with some good aftermarket shocks and tires the handling will be improved Big Time!
When DW does there tests there off the floor quads and sometimes just a few mods can really make a differance! So much depends on ones riding style those and the brute does not fit mine! Because of the Brute the Prairie is getting over looked! This might be the BEST time to work a deal on one! I know some on line here think the KQ might be the next big deal? But you know The Prairie is a proven winner over the last few years partly because of SRA. I wouldnt be suprized if it takes the 05 DW shoot out! I think its kind of like a hot women, After youve ridden her for a while you start looking around thinking there is something better?~lol The Prairie is a utility, that doesnt know it is! Its hard to get much better then that! ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com
Prairie 700
Team Green Plastic
Progressive Springs
OMF Beadlocks
Maxxis Big Horns
Dyna CDI
EPI Pink Spring
Twin Air Filter
HMF Penland Exhaust
And a Bunch of other Toyz

Old 07-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Marylandatv
I think its kind of like a hot women, After youve ridden her for a while you start looking around thinking there is something better?
lol and the more you ride them the more money you have to stick into them to make them happy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Range Rover

Stock from the factory, the suspension is very soft. Killer engine+soft suspension+crappy tires = crappy handling at high speeds. If you adjust the spring preload, it gets MUCH better. Get rid of the crappy Dunlops, you've got a contender. I'm sorry, but I'm not racing people through tight switchbacks. I use my BF for desert and mountain exploration. All day riding comfort and low end grunt is what I needed. The riding postion and IRS are great. I love it. Compared to the SRA bikes I have been riding, this thing is heaven. If you are looking for a racing bike, no IRS machine is going to work for you. I guess the problem here is that you've got a monster engine on an IRS bike. This drives the SRA-riding racers at Dirt Wheels crazy. Kawi is trying to appeal to the adventurer/sportman market which favors comfort and grunt over tight handling.

Brian

Old 07-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

I am not sure why some of these *experts* insist on taking a machine that is designed to climb up the side of a mountain, driving over rocks, fallen trees, through river beds, streams, rutted out logging roads and race them on a trail expecting the performance of a quad designed to do such things. They may as well take a mini-van and race it on a dirt oval and complain how poorly it handles.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: colmac
I am not sure why some of these *experts* insist on taking a machine that is designed to climb up the side of a mountain, driving over rocks, fallen trees, through river beds, streams, rutted out logging roads and race them on a trail expecting the performance of a quad designed to do such things. They may as well take a mini-van and race it on a dirt oval and complain how poorly it handles.
EXACTLY! Well, I would substitute an SUV like an Expedition or Yukon in place of the minivan. But you said it right. The BF is made for a totally different rider than someone who would need a V-Force, 400YFZ, or even a Prairie!

Brian