Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BruteForce owners, 4wd and heat problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BruteForce owners, 4wd and heat problems?

Bigranchn:
Did you add the waterwetter to the resivour or how did you put it in?

Old 08-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

I looked up water wetter on the net and they had all the details about it there and the instructions said to put it directly into the system not the over flow jug,it will go nowhere unless it boils over,then what good is it. So I had to take the left front corner (if your setting on the bike) plastic loose and lift it up so I could get to the radiator cap,I then dropped the bottom radiator hose and drained some of the coolant out, put the hose back on added the water wetter then filled it back up with the the coolant I drained out.It said to use 1 oz. per quart of liquid in the system the manual said it was a 2.5 qrt. system so I used about 2.5 oz. of water wetter a little more than they said but anyway,thats about how much coolant I had left over so I'm thinking I did good.
I sure wished they would have put that cap somewhere easier to get to.

Old 08-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info, I have been looking all over for that radiator cap, the manual don't even talk about it, uless I missed it.

Old 08-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

No problem dude I don't know why they hid it there I gave my brother-in-law the rest of the watter wetter for his Rincon because he needes all he can get now, but anyway his cap is right under the plastic below the handle bars very easy to get to.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

My BF does feel a little warm coming out of the left side, but not enough to burn. It is worse on long, slow rides. Gives me an excuse to open it up a little once in awhile.

I did have a bolt come out of the heat shield after about 5 mintues of riding. I replaced it with another bolt that I had (same size). I need to redo that with some loc tite.

I did notice that it won't go into 4x4 in reverse. I figured this out on a hillside when we were trying to turn around (in the dark). I ended up putting it into low and going forward to get it to shift into reverse. This almost caused me to going into a slow roll into a little washout.

Has anyone fabricated up some additional heat shield to keep mud from kicking up into the radiator from the tires? Seems there could be some better protection for the radiator. I was thinking of fabricating something up out of some black plastic.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Grissjeeper,

The reverse override feature where it doesn't engage in reverse, is this a new feature for sure that might be on all quads in the future. Don't mind me saying this, but if I get stuck in 4x4 I sure will need 4x4 to get out. I can just see people who buy 4x4 trucks would get mighty choked up if they can't back up in 4x4. I really hope you are wrong about this new feature for all 4x4 quads the places I go 4x4 in reverse is a definate necessity!!!!!! I wonder if there is a button or wire to cut that could stop this new feature????

Old 08-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

From what I read it you had to engage 4x4 in neutral or a forward gear, and once it was engaged it would stay engaged in any range or reverse. And you could take it out of 4x4 in reverse. I think it was more of a problem on the Kawi's because of the delay in the engagement. I know that sometimes on my 650 it would take up to 10 ft before it engaged. There is probably a way to defeat this, maybe there is a sensor or switch near the shifter? Someone should look to see if there is. Again 4x4 still will work in reverse just cant go from 2x4 to 4x4 in reverse.

Old 08-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

As far as the heat issue is concerned, are you sure you have the heat shields that are supposed to be mounted to the exhaust pipes? Mine actually fell off after a few hours of riding. (one bolt fell out and I took the other off to keep from loosing the whole works). After removing the heat shield, I notice a massive increase in left leg temperature and actually had to stop riding. I was in fact wearing shorts, but I think it would very likely have made a clothed leg pretty damn hot too. With the heat shield back on it is substantially better.
I'm considreing building some better heat shields just for this purpose. If you're interested, you can private message me with you contact info and I can let you know how they work when I get around to making them. could even make more if people are interested and they aren't too much trouble.....

Old 08-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

idahoprarie did you buy your bike at actioncycle there in twin falls? if so do you know jamie ? i am ready to buy a brute but i have to have cammo. im waiting for him to call but so far he hasnt his price seems fair enough but i will probably end up in boise if he dont get one soon. just wondering how your buying experience was

sorry to get off the topic guys

Old 08-14-2004, 02:36 AM
Trailblazer

wardawg, yes I bought my brute from Action cycles, if i would have had a choice I wouldn't of. They where the first dealer to have one in our area and I needed it for vacation for my wife since I had wrecked hers. If i had more time I would have waited and bought from Cycle City in Burley Idaho. Action cycles is a bunch of incompetent monkeys, I bought two prairie's a couple years ago from them, they tore the rack and fender of one quad up when driving it out of their shop and onto my trailer in the dark, they didn't tell me and I found it the next day, they have no clue when assembling or servicing quads. They have never heard of a clutch kit like the black and red springs of EPI. A couple weeks ago I bought a "new" prairie rim from them, I was told it was a take off rim from a new prairie that they had swapped for aluminum rims, when I mounted the tire I found they had stolen the valve core out of the stem and the rim was bent more than the one I was replacing. It was a necessary evil that I purchased the brute from them.

If you can please WAIT and buy from someone else, I cannot stress this enough. Where are you located?? Wanna ride some weekend?

Jerry

Quick Reply: BruteForce owners, 4wd and heat problems?