Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

kvf still not running right!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 02:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kvf still not running right!!

My 2004 kvf700 is still breaking up ,i think i checked everything.Wont go over 35mk or so with out breaking up.Top speed is a sputtering 45.I have never turned the key on with the cover off,all though someone else was working on this problem before me so iam not sure. Ho can you tell if someone has turned the key on and unspouled (thats what i heard it is called)the break acuator or not .

Thanks for all your previous tips and suggesstions!!!

Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

Nicknac,

if you have allready tried resetting your limp mode, look on nyrocs website for detailed directions, try it again. I had to do mine twice. Maybe i did it wrong the first time.

If this fails, try looking at the air intake snorkel. If the air box was removed and not installed properly, the rubber flap under the handlebars could be blocking the intake snorkel. I had this happen to me. It will run great up to about 1/4 throttle then spit and sputter.

Make sure your carbs are seated properly. If it backfired you may have spit a carb out of the manifold.

How is your air filter??Dirty??

I know these sound obvious but it is probably only something like this that has got you looking for bigger problems

Good Luck

Old 08-31-2004, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks 700hemi for your suggestions i will try to do what you said.The problem started gradually and then got worse, using more fuel as time went on . Its not bad on fuel now though, because it now doesnt leave the garage.HA HA.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

It kinda sounds like your air filter may be dirty. What kind of riding do you do??

Old 09-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

No the air filter is freshly cleaned yesterday.I have determined it has to be something wrong with the carbs.I am going to pull them off tomorrow and take a look.

Thanks again 700hemi for your help!

Old 09-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Nicknac
Also clean/lube both your choke cable plungers, stretch the choke plunger springs to 1 & 1/2 normal size , Lube crap out of choke cables and re-install plunger springs & cables. Make sure your spark plugs are clean, & properly connected & torqued

One thing also that will save you some time testing is to Put your ATV rear end on jackstands so rear tires clear the floor a few inches. (Be sure your area is WELL Ventilated). Throw a sack of fertilizer over your handlebars to help stabilize front end. Put in gear Slowly raise rpm to stumbling point and adjust/tune your airscrews, raise RPM to 50 60 MPH 15-20 seconds, hit Kill switch with throttle lever still open, & check your plugs and rejet if necessary. Saves some high-speed passes in the neighborhood.

If you use something other than jackstands, be sure its secured and whatever you use, don't get anything near your rear tires with the ATV in gear and at high RPM......If yo do, you'll have to go catch your ATV or dig it out of the garage or fence.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]