Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

that yellow lever for the front diff

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default that yellow lever for the front diff

does that yellow handle for the front diff make the thing completely locked in the front if you squeeze it all the way in? the lever doesnt appear to have much resistance against it, anybody know exactly how it works?

Old 09-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Range Rover

However hard you pull on the "little yellow lever" is how much the diff-lock is engaged. It never "locks" - but is all the way engaged if the lever is pulled all the way. I like it on ours, being able to decide how much of the diff-lock you want to use is nice. If that lever is pulled all the way in - you better be pointed in the direction you want to go - 'cuz it isn't going to turn too well. BTW - we're from Ohio too, stop in over on our site and say hi - quadcrew.com (Mrs. Q)

Old 09-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer

They say that it vairible but I'm not sure why,and YES it is completely locked when it is pulled all the way.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Quadcrew, do you ever ride at Haspin Acres? it's the closest place to me, I'm in Southeastern Ohio.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Completely locked, sorta. It never does lock, it uses pressure in a clutch pack to cause both wheels to spin. If you run big heavy tires and the front diff clutchs are getting old it will not lock because there won't be enough friction to lock the front end.

The way to fix this is to tighten the cable, it will then have enough pressure on the clutches to turn both tires. Then the front end is hard to steer than normal, a trade off from big tires.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

mike penland is coming out with whats called a (penlock) that will allow you to lock that lever and will be sold through highlifter

Old 09-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Range Rover

By the term "locked" I was thinking he was referring to how a Grizz "locks" the diff-lock in (the button). The Kaws do not "lock" that lever in - as soon as you let pressure off the yellow lever, the engagement releases as gradually as you are letting off. All the way pulled, all the way engaged. Half way pulled, half way engaged, etc. It is definately a handy little gadget to have on occasions!!

2005BF - No, we've not been to Haspin. We have friends that go a couple of times a year, but they ride dirt bikes when they go. We are usually at Hatfield McCoy or WNF, occasionally Windrock!

Old 09-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

naw, I meant does the differential lock. I'm coming off a Polaris 700 EFI and it was locked at all times in 4wd and became quite hard to steer. It's nice to have the option to lock it or not.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Quadcrew did you have any troubles with your ATR's having a shimmy at certain speeds?

Old 09-24-2004, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

Yes - right at about 30 mph. Under that no problems, and over about 33 or 34 no problems. Kind of weird. Other than that I love them. We had them on the 650s we used to have too. They're perfect for the type of riding we do.

Quick Reply: that yellow lever for the front diff