Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute Force recall and other trouble areas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute Force recall and other trouble areas?

I got a letter a few days ago in the mail from Kawasaki that there is a recall on the Brute Force. Evidently, the suspension bolt can come loose. I have had no problems after about 8 hours of riding except two:

1. Those stupid caps in the tires are falling off.

2. There is a metal cover on the exhaust on the left side of which a bolt came loose and fell out. So this stupid metal cover rattles like a pebble in a tin can making my BF sound like crap. I'd gladly jam a bolt back in there if I knew what size it is, but I will most likely let the dealer fix it when I take it in for the recall and the 10 hour maintenence.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

I had absolutely no problems at all with my BF with 28 hours and 400 miles...until I crashed it. Well, I did have the low speed sputter sometimes but nothing else.

Brian

Old 09-25-2004, 10:11 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I received the recall notice (potential loose nut on the front upper A-Arm bolt) a few days ago in the mail, then on Friday the dealer called to tell me my Gators were in for my Brute, so I asked if I could bring the Brute along on Saturday to have the servicing that the recall letter made reference to. They agreed so I showed up just as the shop opened in the morning and they took the Brute straight into the shop and told me it would take about ˝ hour to service it

So I went into the showroom to browse around but a couple of minutes later the service manager called me back to the shop to tell me there was a problem and wanted to show me. My front left upper A-Arm had already lost its nut and the bolt was just sitting there loosely, still holding the A-Arm to the frame (for now). However there was now an abnormal amount of side to side play in that wheel. This was just an accident waiting to happen, so I had been lucky up to that point that the bolt didn’t come out.

The right side however was “OK”. Because of the excessive play on the left front wheel now, the dealer wanted to keep my quad and call Kawasaki on Monday to determine the proper course of repair.

Bottom line is that if you have a Brute Force you’d better inspect this bolt / nut (holding the front upper A-Arm to the frame) right away, or take it to the dealer for the recall servicing before your next ride!...

Old 09-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna stick my head in and see what might have snafu'ed under there.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

Is that you John Wayne..........is this me?????

Old 09-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

last weekend I was looking at a guy's BF750 and the left rear shock was bent pretty bad, rubbing on the spring. he was unaware of it and said he had been babying it. might want to keep an eye on those too.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, after furthur review, my BF has all its nuts. Which I expected, given the amount of testosterone this thing delivers. All the A-arms and suspension bolt areas looked good. Still, I have a maintenence and minor issue to visit the dealer with, so I will let them poke around.

Is that you John Wayne..........is this me?????
Listen up. I want a clean dispersal this time. No bunching up. I want this thing to go clean and by the numbers. I want tactical and database assimilation by 0830...

But the real question is:

How do I get out of this ch*ckensh*t outfit?

Trending Topics

Old 09-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lost the same bolt. Its a 10mm stubby bolt, not common. There are two holding the deflector on. Take the other one either to a specialty bolt shop or kawi. My dealer gave me it for free.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:54 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Yes, there is more to the recall than just checking the tightness of the nuts. There is supposed to be some sort of “air gap” between the a-arm and the frame or part that the a-arm connects to (that is held together by the bolt that I almost lost). Evidently this air gap is too large on some Brutes and will require shims (washers) to correct. So when you take it to the dealer for service they are supposed to check this. My dealer has ordered a new bolt / nut for mine. I guess there was some damage to my bolt (threads looked a little bunged up) when it was in there flopping around nutless...

Old 09-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Range Rover

ive seen a guy flop around nutless it was a horrible horrible thing......i still have nightmares from time to time

Quick Reply: Brute Force recall and other trouble areas?