Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2 Praire 650 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Praire 650 Questions

1.How necessary is valve adjustment? I am approaching 2000 miles and the quad is running really well.

2. I have seen the recent posts regarding suspension problems from KOD and Nyroc - various parts going bad; ball joints, bearings, etc. I'm not really that familiar with those parts and how to detect problems with them. My question is this - are these parts covered in the GTPP extended warranty?

Old 10-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like its time for a valve adjustment. I did mine at around 1500 and even those Im told they where only a little off its important to get it done and always try to make sure your quads running at 100%. I don't believe ball joints, swing arm bearings are covered under an extended warranty? Most of the time its just engine and drivetrain. As far as things going bad, Its just part of owning a quad. And I don't know about you? but I shake my head and wonder how my quad holds up at all? With some of what I put it through. I do believe there are steps you can take to prolong some wear. The elements! sometime play the biggest part more so then the style of riding. I believe the first place to start and is VERY Important, Is to simply just make sure your quad is clean after every ride, along with getting a good lubricant inside and around every nook and cranny of your bearings and bushings. IMO stay away from power washers (they can very easily blast out more then dirt) Garden Hose, Simple Green, some good soap and elbow grease and afterwards I spray down the areas around all bushing and bearing using a synthetic spray called maxi film. I don't use wd40 or a bolt type remover spray, But some do. I think a good lude spray is your best bet. If you give corrosion a chance to set in, It will. So like Barney use to say you need to nip it in the bud!~lol. It all starts with Good manatance ( double checking bolts, changing your oil, etc etc. ) The more you do the better chances you'll have with your quad holding up for you in the long run. Ive put almost 2500 very hard miles on my Prairie and the only thing that's needed to be replace as of now is a plastic steering joint that allows for a firmer steering stem, that's it so far?. Good Luck ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com

785 V-Force
Prairie 700

Old 10-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply coop. I always clean my quad after riding, keep my air filter clean, and keep up on the oil/diff fluid changes. Aside from that, I don't really do much. What bolts in particular do you feel need regular checking? I probably should hit the quad with a torque wrench and make sure everything is in spec. I sometimes also wonder how it stays together with the abuse it takes.

I'd like to get the valve adjustment done, I just don't trust dealerships very much, and hate letting them touch my bike. I've looked at the procedure and I dont have the tools or time to do it myself. So I guess I could leave the valves alone or take it to the dealer...tough choice!