Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

first trail ride on my new p700

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first trail ride on my new p700

finally got to go trail riding on my new machine today. the only thing i can say is wow!!!!! coming from a rancher 4x4 to this machine is an eye opener. the first thirty miles or so was just around the house in the rain, but today i got out on one of my favorite trails and the shear power and agile handling with this thing in low range was nearly better than sex!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i put about 60 miles on it today and my back and legs did not hurt me a bit.
now for the question, when running down fire roads at a steady throttle opening and then giving it some throttle, it would bog down like it was running out of fuel for a second and then pick up and run fine again. could this be something to do with the coolant that runs to the fuel lines or is this thing just to lean? i tend to think it is a little lean because the exhaust gets extremely hot. would a dynojet kit be the best way to get all the jets and needle hangers or would getting the keihin jets and making the spacers be the way to go? i will be getting a kandn filter and making a snorkle very soon, so i will need to do some jetting changes soon. any info would be appreciated. thanks, pete

Old 10-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem, it is getting used to the auto tranny. It feels like you have left the park brake on at certain times untill you get used to it. Also mine got better after the first service and now at 600 miles works great. Just let the p700 break in for a while then it won't run near as hot, and most little quirks will fade away.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

Mine does the same thing. I was told by a few that know their chit, I might be running lean. Check your plugs that should give you a clue

Old 10-17-2004, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Guys I went through that "bog" myself and beat my head trying to figure it out.....Turns out the midrange is rich, yes I said rich, the 700 uses the same jets as the 650 except it uses richer needles, that is where the split second "falling on it's face" comes from, you can fix this two ways, leave everything alone but get P650 needles (leaner) or add more air...(NAPA snorkel or DG snorkel,) this will take care off the needle's being rich but the main jets will be lean then so what i did was I added a NAPA hose in place of the stock airbox snorkel, left the 700 needle's just the way they were and put the 142 main in the front carb and 145 in the rear, I set the air screw's at 2.5 turns out and no more bog, hesitation or anything negative at all, you may have to play with the air screw's depending on your bike but this cured mine.........I don't know why they put richer needles in the 700 and left the other jets alone but this is what I found with my old one.....I have a BF now and one of my friends bought my old 700 from the dealer.....good luck

Old 10-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

Mine does the same thing from time to time,it does when it's hot out and when it cold, I just can't track it down. I've done the muffler mod,NAPA,Twin Air,DG3 and 142/145 combo.Ive adjusted the mixture screw many times to get the bacfire to stop on decell after a WFO run. I just might try larger pilot jets.

Old 10-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

My dads 700 did the same thing when it was brand new and the fan was on most of the time. After the 10 hour break in was done the bog was gone and the fan didnt run near as much as it did so hopfully yours will go away after some time too.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer

Mine has about 500 mi. on it now,it's been doing it since new.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

Water Wetter works wonders on these bikes. My fan comes on about 1/3 to 1/2 as much as before.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

I would bet Stakk is correct, i bet its rich not lean. All 3 of mine were set a little to rich from the factory and were I noticed it most was in the mid range and at the top end. Even after adding a K&N , CDI, ISX pipe, And a dimond G snorkel my P650 is still testing rich on the dyno mainly at the top end though. After all those mods each of wich is supose to make them run leaner its still rich on top with the factory jets. My STP 700 has a K&N air filter , Dyna CDI , Procircuit full exhaust system. and stock jetting and dyno's out almost spot on not to lean not rich all the way though the low to the top end.

What altitude are you at

Old 10-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

i usually ride from 500 feet to 1300 feet. i am going to get a k@n and a set of tires if i can decide on the tire itself. i like the maxxis bighorns but they are just so d@mn high. so i will probably go with the itp atr. it is probably not as good a mud tire but it will suit my needs fine. i dont get in the mud to often but i like to trail ride faster than the stock tires will allow me to. to much roll in the turns. i have 10 hours on it now and will be changing the fluids in it this weekend and adding some water wetter so i will keep a post going. thanks for the info. pete

Quick Reply: first trail ride on my new p700