Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dayco or OEM Belt??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dayco or OEM Belt??

I need a new belt & am leaning towards the OEM is this still the best way to go??

Old 10-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

I just put on a Dayco belt on my P650. Works great.

http://atv.dnsalias.com/tipview.cgi?...yco%20Belt.txt

Old 10-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Did you loose any top end, & did you have to put anyshim's in??

Old 10-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read that there was a recall on the 360 belt??? and that Dayco was replacing them at dealer level???

How many miles on your belt Uinthas??? I have a little better than 1500 miles on mine and have not even thought about replacing it yet

Old 10-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

was a recall.. I spoke with my local parts store they indicated they can get the 360 belt so I'm assuming the recall has been taken care of. I also sent the wonderful folks of Dayco an e-mail to check the recall status, as of today no response (i sent it 4 days ago) so I dont know for sure it's been fixed or not.

This is my 2nd belt, 1st one i got 2000 miles out of, this one not so lucky only 800 miles (probably because I screwed up last time I put the belt on & put it on backwards, that was dumb ) anyway I'm with no shims & she sqeels like crazy on take off..

Old 10-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Yes there was a recall but the good ones are out now. We are at 100 hours on out 360 (check belt light came on) and i'm either getting ready to remove the last shim or replace the belt - not sure until I get in there... Not sure if i'll use the Dayco when I get the replacmenet on back or a stock one yet.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

ah what the heck, no one else has tried a 360 belt, might as well give it a shot, & if they suck o'well only out $30 bones!! This is what I guess a HL moderater had to say about them

We were educated here at HL by dayco's chief design engineer and his team.Our R&D staff spent several days with them,plus our personal use of this product lets me tell you without question,the dayco belt is a superior built and designed belt.If your dayco belt broke,so would your stock one.dayco has been in the belt business since Noah was a pup.They make belts for the automotive industry,plus snowmobiles,watercraft golf carts,etc.,etc.All belts must be adjusted properly.For any story about dayco belt problems,a search will show you way more with a stock belt.It's unique design causes it to grip better than a stocker.Thats why they don't slip as easy.With everything in proper adjustment,a dayco also helps with the belt not smoking as easy.We did our homework on this item.It is a great product.I'll leave you with this thought,buy two,one for a spare and still save over $30.00 over the price of one stock belt.

I'll give it a shot & see how it goes!!

Old 10-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Uinthas
Did you loose any top end, & did you have to put anyshim's in??
I left the stock shims in. The belt fit the P650 perfectly. No squek, very very responsive, was doing wheelies with no problem.
I shimmed my carbs to get that extra umph on the lower rpms. We'll see the belt holds up after a few plowing sessions.

I got all this belt info/tips from Nyrocs site

Old 10-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Trailblazer

I just bought one last week and i got 180Km before it blew in a million pieces, I returned and the store gave me my money back. They told me that the Dayco rep asked them to refund all bad belts that they get back because they have trouble with them. There is supposed to be a line of belts made specifically for ATVs in a month or so to address the problems.
XRXMan

Old 10-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

I tried a Dayco and returned it because I had all my shims out and it was still too loose. I bought a Kawi belt and replace one shim to bring it into spec. Works great now. Not impressed with the Dayco belt at all.

Quick Reply: Dayco or OEM Belt??