Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Work Performance shocks Lakota sport!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Work Performance shocks Lakota sport!

.. That's right- a 250R rear is the order of the day, that's what I did. Bolts right in, with a little grinding to the swingarm and enlarging the bolt holes to 14mm. Good luck with it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off your welcome for the compliments 98Lakota, also today i was looking on ebay and found this 250r shock. It reads, an 1987 TRX250r fourtrax 250r rear shock and it is in excellent condition and has been recently serviced and valved for a 175 poundf person. The only problem is i weigh 195 close to 200. Would it be ok or should i find one for a 200-250 pound person. Also if i were to get a 250r shock all i would have to do is drill out the hole big to a 14mm and grind the swing arm where. Lastly is it possible to get 250r shocks for the front instead of spending $400 for work performance just wondering.

Old 11-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hey kwackermann, on one of your pictures it show the swing arm grounded down. Where is the spot that you had to ground down in order to make the 250r shock fit. I think if i find a nice one cheap than i'll go for it but i want to know that it would be possible. Also does your have a preload (little bottle) on it where would i put that.

Old 11-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

... Hello Vunit, I'll try and put an arrow on the picture where grinding is needed, it's between the 2 flanges that secure the bottom shock bolt, you will see this when you take the shock off. The reservoir I ziptied to the frame cross bracket under the seat- I'll try and get a picture of that too. As for 250R front shocks, if they fit- you'll have to get ahold of mojaveaddict, he has done some truely wicked stuff with his 'jave...........

Old 11-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Kwackermann i just came back from looking at my rear shock and have another question. I think that is it called a bushing that is between the bolt on the top of the shock. Would i use the stock one or would i get a new one with the 250r shock. Also what would have to be drilled out, would i take out the bushing and then drill it out or what.... I want to do this but at the same time i want to make sure that it is going to bolt on fairly easy and work right. The picture that i have of the 250r shock has a bushing in it but not at the bottom. I really could not see to well underneath my quad so i don't know if there is a bushing under there. Lastly it looks like in order to get to the bolt at the top of the shock to take it off i have to take off my air box it's in the way. Is there any certain way you put your on or did you have similar problems. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

... Hello Vunit, - there is no need for a bushing at the bottom- what you see at the bottom of the 250R shock is where a link would normally go which is not used when mounted on a Mojave, a 14mm bolt simply goes thru the bolt holes. If you still have your airbox, yes it will need to be removed for this procedure- I ditched mine a while back. I have a stock swingarm in the shed- I will try and take pictures of where to grind. The current shock bolt holes are 10mm, and must be enlarged because the bolt holes on the 250R shock are 14mm, I enlarged mine with a 17/35 in drill bit, but if you can find a 14mm bit all the better because aome additional filing will be required as 17/35" is not quite 14mm. accordeing to weather.com it's gonna be a clear day tommorow- so pictures should be a possibility..........

Old 11-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks kwackermann, also when i put the new shock on i have to use stock mounting hardware from my stock shock. Another thing is i now that you can get some kind of k&n clamp for the lakota instead of having the crappy air box that's on there now but where can it be brought and what is involved. Also does it increase you power and is it good for riding in dusty dry and wet areas. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

do they relly make a k&N air box lid for ya quad V-unit!!???.....................................If so im jelious

Old 11-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

you can get the filter where ever parts are sold...I have a Uni and like it...most people have a K&N yeah that stock air box is a restrictive, heavy, pile of SH*&. i bet i am down to 350lbs with all the crap i threw out on my mojave. PICS SOON!! i am not sure about the size for a stock lakota as i have a 36mm carb but i am sure someone knows

Old 11-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

its a 32mm

Quick Reply: Work Performance shocks Lakota sport!