Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Is this a scam, I think it is!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a scam, I think it is!!!

I am selling my 02 p650 in the classifides section. It has been there a couple of weeks and I've got on reply. Well today i get this email from this "Dr. McGuary from the U.K." He sent this:

| | | Inbox

Hello,
My name is Dr McGuary and i am from U.K . I am interested in buying your 2002 Kawasaki Prairie 650 which i saw for sale in a website while searching.Will need you to get back to me soonest with information like if you still have it for sale,lowest selling price,present condition and then pictures.
Was thinking if i could get this fast for i need it as a very big christmas present.Thank you and will be waiting your reply.
Dr McGuary.

Can anyone figure this one out?

Old 11-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt sound like a scam at all. Just because someone is from out of the country doesnt make it a scam.

I would be cautious and make sure to use an escrow, but other than that I dont see a reason why you should suspect foul play as of yet.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

YES, it is a scam! I just got the same form letter from someone in Africa, in regards to the Pomeranian puppies we sell. Just sell it to someone from the States, and free yourself of any possibilty of being screwed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good!! I was pretty sure of that. He didn't even write like he was older than 10. This so called "doctor" doesn't capitalize "i" and double space after each period. Maddog you would of been screwed!

Old 11-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, mine was a DR. Mark Johnson, or something like that, and he couldn't write good english. It kind of sounded like he might have been oriental.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider

There still isnt enough information in his letter to discount him. The appearance of another does raise suspicions though.

Dont worry about me, I can hold my own. I've been buying and selling small and big ticket items online for years and so far I'm out 13 dollars. Not bad if you ask me.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

That's OK with me if you want to believe that, I won't give that guy anything but a delete button.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

Scam, Scam, Scam!!!!!!!!!

I got the same wording for a trailer I had listed in the ATV Connection classifieds last year. While I didn't even bother messing with the guy, the typical scam would have them eventually trying to either get your bank account information (using some BS story of overseas money transfers etc.) or they would send you a check/money order for more than your asking price so you could refund some of your money back to them. Their check, of course, would fail to clear after several weeks time.

Think of it this way: Unless you were selling your P650 dirt cheap, how could anyone justify the cost of shipping overseas?

Jaybee

Old 11-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

they run a "bot" program against search engines looking for the words "for sale" or "4 sale" etc, the bot program then sucks in the words before it to get "what's for sale" and then it looks for the "@" sign to get your email address, it then plugs this info into a nice little form letter to mail to you. I had a story on my site that had the words "atvs, trucks and trailers for sale" and I got one of those letters wanting to know if my "atvs truck trailers" was still for sale lol. It's a scam. 10 to 1 the guy is really in Nigeria.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

I'd be willing to bet that its a scam for sure! Would you really want to buy a quad from another country (sight-unseen)? No way!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Is this a scam, I think it is!!!