Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Plow blades for the 650 prairie

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow blades for the 650 prairie

Hello Guys,
I am considering a plow blade for my 650 and was hoping you fellas could help me with my decision. We live in northern MN and get a moderate amount of snow. I do have a blower that I plan on using for the big dumps but would like something for the 4 to 5 inch stuff. My driveway is about 30 yards long. The bike is a 03, 650 with stock tires and no winch so I'd be looking at a manual lift. I checked out cycle country's website but really haven't a clue on whats good or bad, ease of mounting, and price. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Bob

Old 11-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

I'm a MN man also. I have a Prairie 700 with a plow. I went to the Kawasaki dealer and they sold me which they call a kawasaki plow but I think it is a Warn plow. Any ways it works great even if the snow is a foot deep. Dont even worry about the stock tires. When I used it last year I had stock tires on it. You will be amazed the snow you can push before your spinning. I'm a little worried now though, I put mudlites on this year and they have big lugs. I dont think they a going to work as good pushing snow. I guess we will see. good luck

Old 11-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have the 50" Moose, I purchased it (just under $500) when I bought my Prairie but I installed it myself and it was fairly simple to do. Most of them have very similar mounting, a mounting plate is bolted to the frame (typically under the engine) and the push tubes that are mounted to the blade connect to this via pins. Where the different brands will differ the most is their manual lifting arms. I found that the electric lifts are about the same price as the manuals. I went with the manual lift because you can raise and lower the blade faster but it's more work. The manual lift for the Moose plow works great but the mounting leaves a little to be desired, it mounts on the front rack and is quite large. HTH

Old 11-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have all 3 of the major brand plows.And now I have the Warn plow with electric accuator and it seems to be a real nice set-up.A couple things to note is with the Warn plow it is nice because you do not have to crawl underneath your quad in dead of winter to mount the plow to the frame.On the Prairie you can mount it up without crawling underneath your quad.And the blade is not that heavy to weigh the front end of the Prairie down.

The Moose plow that I had I ran with a winch it was real heavy and worked real well but I had that on my Grizzly and the Grizzly had adjustable suspension up front so that helped alot.If I had that plow on my Prairie I think the front end would dive pretty hard.

The Cycle Country plow I had was about like the Warn plow but I had the manual lift and it worked good but did not lift that high and I would be always trying to adjust it to go higher so I would not smack things trying to get up through the yard.

Old 11-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Range Rover

I have a 60" Cycle Country plow w/ electric lift on my P700, and it works GREAT!! It has the rubber top flap which helps flip the snow back in front of the plow -vs- allowing it blow over the top. The plow can angle either direction for easy plowing, and is a snap to wore up the electric lift. My P700 has stock tires as well with no problems with traction while plowing.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Range Rover

btw... I'd highly recommend a set of Progessive springs for the front. I bump mine up a few notches for winter while I have the plow on, to keep the front end fron lowering when the plow is raised high. I paid $110 for my springs off of Ebay new.

Also... once allt he brackets are installed... it only takes me about 2 min to install / remove the plow now. Just a couple pins and the electric lift power plug. The electric lift motor is basically a electric window motor like what is used in a car. It works great for lifting the plow easily, and is mounted on the plow, NOT the bike. So when your out riding inthe woods, you don't have it hanign around liek you would a winch. If you already have a winch, you could use that instead.

Happy plowing!!

Old 11-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

Guys,
Thanks for all the advice and info. I'm going with the Warn with a manual lift. Still scratching my head on the 54" or 60". Thanks again. Bob

Old 11-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Range Rover

I went with the 60" so that it still plowed wider then my bike when the plow was at an angle. Just soemthing to think about.

Good luck!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

Vengence,
I went with the 60" Warn plow with the manual lift. We got 6" of snow up here yesterday. Holy Crap! does that thing push the snow! Had some trouble with the putting together the lift. It's got a ton of parts (cables, springs and bushings). Again, thanks for the help.
Fisherdude

Old 12-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Range Rover

I have a Warn 60" that I swap back and forth on a P360 and Traxter XT. I haven't used a manual lift, only winch. On the P360 to stop the sag in the front end I take a racheting strap and tie the back rack to the hitch, then tighten it as much as I can. That really makes a big difference and doesn't have any down side that I have seen.

Quick Reply: Plow blades for the 650 prairie