Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

just out of curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004 | 08:17 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default just out of curiosity

why is it that when anyone asks about the sportsman models compared to a kaw. they always say "I spanked the sp", why does it have to come down to speed when everyone knows that utility quads are more than speed. there about rocks, climbing, towing, plowing, etc. I have two polaris sportsman 700 EFI's and love them, sure I have nitpicked some of the small things but honestly can anyone say they haven't found anything they didn't like about there quad. the most annoying thing I have found is the low speed clutch/driveline slap sound you get on the sp series when getting on and off the throttle. just my opinion, I have never rode the kaw. brand and cannot say anything bad about them, just saying that when comparing the polaris brand to others speed should not be a major issue.

Old 11-18-2004 | 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

Point well taken but as its been said many times your in the kawasaki fourm. You will get biost oppinions. Kawasaki is known for speed. So we will allways point that out. I can say that if I didnet have a kawi, I would have a polaris. I am verry impressed with the ground clearence they offer. When it comes down to it, most atv's perform verry similar. The big seperating terms are the speed and the accelration, (sp) (im dumb) Which kawi is at the top of the market in thoes catagories. Not that polaris wont go through stuff that the brute or prarie will. But its jsut the seperator of the market.

Old 11-18-2004 | 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

I dotn get why everyoen worries about top speeds, especailyl when top speeds are regulated from gearing (usually)

IMO, if you want to know about power, think acceleration. And suspension

Old 11-18-2004 | 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

I brute gets up and goes pretty good. I dont see why you would want much more accelration. The thing that most people look for in 4x4's is ground clearence. The brute also rides like a caddy.

Old 11-19-2004 | 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: housefullofkawi

...any of the kawasaki v twins are far better than the sportsman in all areas, it not bias just fact.
Okay, Housefullofkawi, take a look at my first picture. There's no way in hell my Prairie would be in that rock pile without being high-centered. That 500 Sportsman also has a 25% higher tow rating than the Prairie. The Sportsman has an instant-on 4X4 system with full lock. With the Prairie, you better anticipate your need for 4X4 and engage it early. The Sportsman gets 16 mph. The Prairie just 11. The Sportsman also has a softer ride. My Prairie has been in the shop a total of 4 weeks with a faulty actuator problem (which is quite common, by the way). The Sportsman has been problem free.

If I may borrow your own words...it's not bias just fact.

Old 11-19-2004 | 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

wiley, that was a great post!!!

when i was going to buy my first quad ever, it was going to be a 325 polaris. that is in all reality the bigest quad i needed, then i got the price, WOW. but i didnt shy away from my decision, i started thinking for $500 more i could get the larger model. then $800 i could get this, so on & so on. well i was wanting the polaris 400, in my mind that would be great perfect size and power for my needs THEN. my buddy starts bringing atv mags in, low and behold there was the first year kaw 650p. i started to read about it and was liking it ALOT. went to my dealer and found out it was only $1300 more than the 325 polaris, and the deal was done. i liked the reveiws that every mag has put out. yes mine has seen it days in the shop, i think they did **** just to keep me comming back. since then its never been in there again, THANKS TO THIS FORUM. all in all i dont beleave there is a bad quad out there, im not a brand lover.

I THINK THE ONLY REASON WE HAVE THE PRAIRIE IS BECAUSE IT IS FASTER THAN EVERYONE ELSES UTILITY.

BUT THE FACT IS IF WE WERE LOOKING FOR SPEED WE WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A SPORT QUAD. YES I CAN BEAT A 400EX, Z-400 AND A STROKED 250R, TO A CERTIAN POINT. THEN THEY HAVE THE GEARING TO TAKE OVER AND BEAT ME IN THE TOP SPEED.

Old 11-19-2004 | 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Here comes a response from a Suzuki guy. I ride a Prairie-a bunch. I've ridden Polaris Sportsmans. The thing about Kawi's is this: I burn a bunch more gas. You know why? I have a big problem keeping my thumb off of the stop! The V's f--king RIP! They might lack in other areas-Mac struts-but damn, they are a blast to ride! Arm stretching power is NOT a clich'e! Kawi needs to go back to the drawing board on the BF's rear suspension, though. Ramp up the speed over the jumps-Sport Speed-and it wants to pitch out on you. But that engine...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2004 | 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the Kawasaki V motors rip. I ride my Prairie like a sport quad, with other sports quad riders. A couple weeks ago I was doing some hillclimbing with a Raptor (Procircuit and jetted), Z-400, and a Suzuki LT250 Quadracer. This was really a sand covered mountain. Everyone ran regular tires, no paddles. The only quad that made it to the top was the bone stock Prairie, and it's over 200 lbs heavier than its nearest competitor.

I wouldn't think of taking the Sportsman up a hill like that. But then again, when it comes to riding 4 days straight through the Inyo Mountains with a mountain of camp gear on the quad, not to mention 6 1/2 gallons of extra gas and 6 1/2 gallons of water, only the Sportsman will do. The plush seat, soft IRS suspension, and upright riding position lets you cruise all day. Sometimes the ride isn't meant to be a white knuckled, adrenaline-fired experience.

Old 11-19-2004 | 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

Good to hear from another SPORT ute rider. Me and a bud-see "my pic.s" spent 3 days on the Hat/McC trail system riding our uh, utes(?) with the sport guys. Seems they were pretty f-in' impressed with our quads espexcially when the fast trails turned to mud-who pulled who m out?. I guess it boiled down to ability. Don't judge the book.......by it's reader-hah! Ride on!

Old 11-19-2004 | 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: housefullofkawi

wiley take your polaris to canada, and burn it- it doesnt compare to the kawi's, and since u wanted to compare a solid axle to a irs system in rock climbing, it just shows u are desperate to make your quad look comparable when it just isnt, climb that rock buddie!
Oh no, you better stop! If you don't, you might to hurt my feelings! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: just out of curiosity