Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Minding the break-in???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minding the break-in???

New to the forum and new to Quad ownership. I have never liked quads (being a motorcycle freak) because everyone I rode seemed "gutless" to me. A friend of mine fixed that misconception by tossing me the key to his P650 during a camping trip this past summer. What a ride that was!!! That got my gears turning and I settled on the BF750 this past Saturday. I'll be taking it, and the kids on their LT80, to the state forest this Friday to do some riding. I was curious as to how many of you well worn Quad pilots truthfully mind the break in period on your rides? I obeyed it on my Harley 'cause of the expense of the thing and my worry about some kind of tell tale feature in all this new fangled electronic control type stuff. I know Chevy has been doing that it Vette's for a while. Should I stick to the 10 hour half throttle rule or just bust it loose when I get there???

Thanks and God bless,

-BunnMan

PS: Another question that's been bugging me...does the fact that a motorcycle guy bought a quad mean that he's and "old" guy now???

Old 11-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

I think you will find half throttle plenty in the woods during the break in period. But yes Stay with the break in to seat everything, 10 hours is only around 60-70 miles then you can drop the hammer, a good break in can really determine the life of the machine use everything on it high, low 4X4 run a little in all modes so everything seats and wears in. Have funYou won't see the kids on those LT80's if you run half throttle.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Range Rover

The break in is designed to allow time for the rings to seat. The chance that you blow a head gasket is not very likely. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER ABOUT BREAKIN PROCEDURE IS TO VARY THE THROTTLE. Don't go full out all the time. Keep changing speeds.

I bought my V-Force back in October and I varied the throttle but I also opened the quad up for about a minute or two. I feel that this is the best way to really seat the rings. You don't want them set at low speeds or at high speeds. That is why you vary the throttle. Change your oil after the first or second ride and ride on. I advise changing your oil every other ride but some people think that is overkill. I did that to my old 400ex and my mechanic said he had never seen a cleaner motor except for one that just rolled off the line. CHANGE YOUR OIL FOR ENGINE LONGEVITITY.

Brian

Old 11-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

well since we are on the subject im rebuildin the moter in my mojave what would the best way to break in the new parts. how long, what oil, and speed and all should i do ?

Old 11-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

Big blazer your right. Ive heard from everyone to go slow on the gas. This is not true. You need to varry your speed. Cruse around at half throttel for a while then hit the gas for a few seconds. Then back off the gas. Do that for like they say 10 hours. Then you can let her rip and it will have the best of bolth worlds. And there is no way to just keep your bute at 1/2 throttel. The need for speed gets you wtih that thing. And belive me it has it. I found it best to break in quads on just gravel roads. Cruse down them for a nice sunday drive, And every once and a while hit the gas and show them what the brute can do.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

P.S your not old. Im 21 and I have a brute. They are sweet quads. Welcome to the future.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

When i was breaking in my quad it let like forever, but is great now. My friend was racing his quad the 2nd day he had it and i runs a little rough, it smokes a lot when he starts it and stalls a lot until it fully warmed up. On the other hand my runs like a dream and never had a problem yet with it, so make sure that you take it easy during the first 10 hours.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer

perciate all the responses, thanks. I screwed the throttle lock in to half throttle as soon as I got the thing home to keep temptation from getting the best of me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Just was wondering if the 10 hours was really all that necessary. The salesman told me 5 hours but then I ran across the 10 hour recommendation in the manual. Vunit, your post hit home real good with the comment about your buddy running hard with a brand new machine and it runnin' rough now...I sure don't wanna be THAT guy! I'll leave the lock screwed in until she says 10 hours then let 'er rip. Got 2 on her now, should get the next 8 Friday. CAridgerunner, if I left the kids I'd have a real poop sandwich to chew on. My daughters are 9 and 7 and will be taking turns between the LT80 and riding shotgun with Dad. They don't like beign left alone in the forest, guess I should have held of on the Hansel and Gretel story until they were older [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thansk again folks,
God bless,

-BunnMan

Old 11-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Range Rover

This how I broke in my P700 and it outruns every P700 that I have drag raced. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Range Rover

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
That is how I did mine as well, works awesome!

Quick Reply: Minding the break-in???