Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Got my wheeler back....Carb question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my wheeler back....Carb question

.... They gave me what we call in the aircraft world a "CND" or could not duplicate. They said they could find nothing wrong with my four wheeler. Funny that it breaks on me after 45 minutes of hard riding, and they keep it for 4 weeks and cant find a problem. I got it back with a flat tire and leaves that look 4 weeks old all over it. I dont think they touched it, nor will they again......

.... But anyway, I got it all apart at home, I did find some nasty junk in my gas tank, I took it off and turned it upside down this time, instead of just draining through the hose. This leads me to believe I need to clean out the carb. some of these floaties could be causing my stalling. My battery tested at 65 percent, so that could explain the hard starting. What should I look out for on this carb when cleaning it? I have the diagram from kawi's website so it shouldnt be too bad. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Just have a clean workspace, and take it apart over a towel so you don't lose any small parts, then use some sort of pressurized aerosol(sp?) cleaner, or an Air Compressor to clean all the jets and passage's. Should be good to go. Just out of curiousity, did they charge you any $$$ even though there was "nothing wrong with it"?

Old 12-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

No charge as usual. They asked me if I wanted them to take the carb apart and clean it out, i actually said "H3ll NO" at the service counter. Now all I need to find is a manual on adjusting the valves. Might as well do it all since I have it this far apart. thanks for the reply, a towel is a good idea.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If ya had junk in the tank and consequently the carb- I've found soaking the jets and other small passages in acetone( nail polish remover) to be quite effective.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

I did all the P400 carb stuff recommended on NYROC's site, short of taking the carb off the machine, didnt want to mess with the cooling lines or the choke cable. None of the fuel I drained from the float bowls had anything in it at all, I sprayed cleaner directly into the fuel inlet, and let it run through the carb and out the bottom of the float bowl, still nothing. sprayed cleaner all inside it. I took the top off, and everything inside moves smoothly and its clean as a whistle. I sprayed everything real good and put back together.

It runs good. I still think it has an electrical problem, but I cant tell if its fixed until next time I go on a long ride. However, I did learn that this carb has a primer button. Ive never needed to prime or choke it ever. allways starts right up. :-) Next time it starts sputtering, im going to reach down and give it a squirt or two and see if it changes anything. thanks for all the help.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Huh, electrical problems ehhh? What happens when you ride and the bike dies? Remember, the more specific you are, the better we all will be to diagnose it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

the previous thread

here is the previous thread to save on some typing