Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota Chain Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakota Chain Noise

I just bought a 2000 lakota last week. I live in AL and ride solely trails and mud. It runs very well, I have ordered Bear Claws for the rear and an 11T sprocket. I have not found a single person who has put on the 11T sprocket, everyone seems to go UP to the 13T. I weight 250, so that along with the heavier-than-stock bearclaws, maybe warrants losing a tooth? Your input will be greatly valued.

ANYWAY, I have two problems, and only 1 real one..............
1. It takes 15 mins for this thing to warm up, if I wanna ride it after I crank it, I gotta keep the choke on for a few minutes (not really a problem PER SAY)
2. When I rev it up in 1st or 2nd gear, going up hill, I hear a popping sound every now and then and, for that 1/50th of a second, I lose drive. According to the manual, the chain should have a little slack, and I don't think its got too much slack, but we'll see how tightening it up does. I have a "chain tensioner" on its way off ebay. I should say that I'm a n00B to atv's. I have read stuff about a "K&G clutch kit" and I was wondering if my problem sounds like a "clutch slipping" and if so, where can you buy a K&G clutch kit?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-22-2004, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

sounds to me like your chain is loose and then skips a tooth or two on the sprocket...oh the back of the swingarm you loosen the to farthest back bolts...then rotate the bearing carrier till the chain is tight...you probley could go up a jet size (get it from the dealer) that should help if it's cold blooded

Old 12-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

You don't know how glad I am for you to say that it sounds like my chain is just loose; because beyond that, its all Greek to me. No parts came with my Lakota, so I have purchased the manual (which I already have) and the chain tensioner (should be here by 12/30/04). Other than that, I am tightening up my shocks to setting "4" all around, to accomodate my 250lbs, does that sound OK?

Also, what do you think about the Bear Claws?
...should I keep my 12T front sprocket or try out my 11T?

Old 04-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

I know this is late but I had the same issue with my Lakota. They have a great design that when you tighten the chain, it doesn't get tighter when you compress the rear shock, so you can really put it pretty tight. I had the same popping noise, tightened my chain and was done with it. Yeah, and mine takes a few minutes to warm up before it's ready to go, not a problem as it will start on the coldest days, unless I'm stupid enought to try the pull start. DOH>

Scott