Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

OIL ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL ?

What oil should I use in my p700.

IS it worth the extra money to buy the oil from a dealer or will regular brand name oil work from a auto parts store.

What should I expect to pay for a quart of oil?

Old 01-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default OIL ?

Well it should say the oil to use in your p700 in your owners manual. But i would say it is worth the extra money to buy the oil form the dealer instead of regular brand name oil from an autoparts store. The reason why is those oils for cars is it does not lubercate the clutch system and transmissions in quads these days and it wears out faster than oil that you get from your dealer. I use to use car oil in my quad but then i asked my dealer and he said all these things how it will ware out faster and it just wont work. It well worth the dealers oil. I pay $3.75 a quart of oil.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default OIL ?

I use synthetic oil in my KFX 700. It cost $5.00 per quart

Old 01-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Range Rover
Default OIL ?

wel the difrence in senthetic oil and non senthetic oil is one has a chemical that causes the dirt and crud to float for the filter can pic up the other allows it to stick to the bottom of the moter so its up to you but personaly id use senthetic oil for the filter to pick it up and not stick in the bottm of the moter parts last longer other then that all oil no matter where u buy it from napa to grocerie store is the same except for senthetic and non senthetic just diffrent bottles and names

Old 01-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default OIL ?

you can use regular oil in the prairie and any other belt drive tranny for that matter without a problem. they don't need the anti foaming agent since they don't also lubricate the tranny.

i'm putting castrol blended in mine when i get a chance to change the oil
cart

Old 01-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default OIL ?

Thanks for your help....

I ended up talking to a service rep. and he said not to use regualr oil as some of you said becaue it is also used to lubricate. My dealer was getting 3.05 a qt. (kaw) The oil filter(kaw) was 10.25 which I think is high but didnt get a chance to price them.

What are some of you paying for an oil filters?

So total cost of doing an oil change myself was $20

What does a dealer charge to do an oil change?

While Im asking prices

What are you guys paying for air filters?

Thanks again

Old 01-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Range Rover
Default OIL ?

I would add that you should beware of those oils which contain "Frinction Modifiers". Look on the bottle, it'll say if'n it has these in the mix. These will eat your seals. I know this from experience and it was a VERY expensive lesson learned.

I used Kawi oil during the breakin period and few hundred miles beyond and then switched to a full synthetic. Having done considerable research on the matter, synthetic is the only oil I'll use (again...after the breakin period).

Moo,
WheelCow

Old 01-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default OIL ?

I'd use Kawi's oil called Kawachem. I use that in my V-Force. Damn good oil. Specially made for atv's. They don't make the 10w/30 Kawachem anymore so you'll have to use the 10w/40 or 20w/50. I use 10/40 in winter then move up to the 20/50 in summer. It says what to use in yer owners manual though.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default OIL ?

I also use synthetic, Mobil One Red Top. Bosch 3300 oil filter. Mobil One Red Top has no friction modifiers added, I have been using it on my motorcycle and my Honda Rancher for years.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Range Rover
Default OIL ?

I run Amsoil in all my quads, vehicles and lawn equipment. It is a very good oil, I use the 0w-40 in my quads. Synthetics are far superior that petroleum based oils.