Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Valve Adjustment Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment Cost?

Well I have called four local MI dealers. One said it is a 1.5 hr job on a 1999 Prairie 400 2X4 at $75/hr or $112.50 total. One said it is 1/2 hr less than the 4X4 for $205 bucks total with a complete go through including valves at $246. Two others didn't look it up and one said about an hour $65 bucks and the other usually $80 bucks. Someone on here said their dealer only charges $60 bucks? I am wondering if I go to one who was cheaper they won't end saying it took longer than expected and charge me closer to the $112 mark. Which one to choose?

Old 01-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful when getting quotes on adjusting the valves. I once took my P650 to a dealer to get the 100 hour service done (including the valve adjustments) and when I went to pick it up, they tried to charge me more than the price quoted to me on the phone...they tried to tell me that the price I was told was for a single banger and that the v-twin service costs more b/c they have to do the valves on 2 cylinders instead of one. I protested and eventually they gave in. Just make sure you tell the shop that you have a v-twin motor when you ask for prices to do the valve jobs so you won't have any surprises like I did.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Mikey, was that a Kawi dealer? Man, they should have known it was twin by the model over the phone unless they really have their heads up there ***. Sounds like they were trying a fast one on ya, glad to hear you won! Damn "stealers"... I was impressed how easy it was to do the valve adjustment myself. I would say it only took me about 1 1/2hrs. I have everything off already so I decided to jump in, it was easy I thought. Just need to be willing to bend your feeler gauges!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: yamihoo
Mikey, was that a Kawi dealer? Man, they should have known it was twin by the model over the phone unless they really have their heads up there ***. Sounds like they were trying a fast one on ya, glad to hear you won! Damn "stealers"... I was impressed how easy it was to do the valve adjustment myself. I would say it only took me about 1 1/2hrs. I have everything off already so I decided to jump in, it was easy I thought. Just need to be willing to bend your feeler gauges!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Yami,
Yep, it was a Kaw. dealership (they also sell Hondas). And yes, I think they were trying to pull a fast one on me...so I'm glad I protested and won that battle.

Last August, I adjusted my valves (when I installed v-force cams) and I found it to be a big pain in the butt! When standing over the motor, I found that there's no way to see what I was doing and getting my (bent) feeler guage in there to work was difficult too (not enuf room). I read recently that if you stand the quad up on its rear and then do the valve adjustment, its a lot easier. I might try that if I ever try to adjust the valves again...but right now I'm thinking I will probably just go to a different dealer next time I hit the 100 hour maintenance mark and let them do it. I just don't feel confident that I got the valve adjustment spot on (but its not running bad or anything, so I'm going to leave it alone for now).

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

well the front exhaust valves weren't easy thats for sure, but the rear cyl was pretty easy I thought. It was difficult getting the feeler guage in at first, but once I figured the trick to bending and sliding it in, I guess I"ve had worse.