Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Black Top ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Top ride

I've been seeing excellent ways in how to get the best performance out of quads, mainly speed. I have all the ideas but what I would like to have a hold on is performance on black top roads. I live in South Dakota and here it is legal to put plates on em and drive them on roads, like a car or bike. I want my V to run smooth but have some control. I know you guys aren't used to this type of topic but any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Black Top ride

Most of the ATV tires have soft rubber that wears extreamly fast on Asphalt. Foreign cars have a few 12 raidials avalable. Visit your local tire, golf supply, or tractor supply for some street tire options. Note also that ATVs don't respond well to abrupt turns on asphalt. Nor do they steer that well under hard braking on Asphalt. Also, I Don't think the engine, radiator, or belt system was designed for prolonged 65+MPH 20-40 mile cruising, but , I have been wrong/corrected on a few ocasions..

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

TuffeNuff

Old 02-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Black Top ride

polaris is currently offering street ready quads...well for over seas...and they sell them here too...but not legal I dont think...

Old 02-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Range Rover
Default Black Top ride

clicky

This is what I will be running on the street, If you don't mind me asking where are you located?

Old 02-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer
Default Black Top ride

Is that true that quads were not made to ride long periods on black top (radiator, belts, so on)? Sounds more like part time 4x4. Never heard this. What do you think.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Black Top ride

Mobyguzzer a little more info on the tire in your link please. Never heard of duro tire before. Looks like an aircraft tire

Old 02-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default Black Top ride

I have a set of 27"Duros but not for black top they are for mud, comparable to blackwaters'.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Black Top ride

I suppose a wider wheel stance wouldn't hurt-> Spacers, DOT approved tires for sure, Shocks could be left alone, coolant line heat-sinks, possibly an oil cooler, extra large gas tank, what else????? Mobyguzzer had a neat tire but looks almost too slick, maybe if black top was the only terrian I would take but am not. This may sound crazy but I have some cousins in Iowa that have quads and I plan on driving mine there (over 50 miles) is this out of the question for a quad??

Still I can't see driving on pavement would be any different than driving hard on trails all day.
Thanks

Old 02-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Range Rover
Default Black Top ride

I have a ITP Hard Surface Kit I will sell you. Made for the road. Wheels and radial tires.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Black Top ride

This is the website for Duro...Duro link

I have several Duro tires, & they make all kinds... ( more than is shown in that link...

Quick Reply: Black Top ride