Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Hayashi

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hayashi

Thanks for the info with the problem I thought I was having with my diff.
It turns out I beleave its the eng brake actuator is shot, (It working sometime not working other?) And the diff actuator seens to be set in 4 wheel drive? (Causing the front wheels to turn together) I read on another post How do you reset? But do I need any special tools? ~coop

Old 04-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hayashi

I'm surprised that your engine brake actuator is causing all these problems that you described. Resetting the actuator is as simple as applying 12 VDC battery voltage directly to the red(+)/blk(-) wires 3-sec at a time until the potentiometer in the actuator is returning to the detectable home range for the control unit. But like I said I'm not convinced that this is actuator problem. You may want to double check everything before spending big $$ on parts...
Good Luck.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hayashi

I double check the front diff and gears the best I could with out taking it apart and when taking off the diff actuator I can set the gear for it to spin correctly but the actuator seens to be set in 4 wheel drive and I cant get it to reset. (The one time I did the eng. brake actuator made some more funky noises Ive never heard and set it back into 4wd. My best guess is the engine brake actuator is dead? I can turn the quad on and off and it wont make any noise at times? I thought it might be the battery so I took the fresh battery out of my 785 v-force and it makes some funky noices when it does come on? But its going on an off and sometimes just not working at all still? My dash is also flashing back and forth from 2 to 4wd, I would say every 2 sec. ~coop

Old 04-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hayashi

If the 2/4WD light is flashing in 2-sec interval, that means both the EBC and 4WD acuators are out of commision - it doesn't necessarily mean both actuator motors have gone bad (even though that's what service manual says). By the way you should have told me all the symptoms at the very beginning so that I could help you better.
It appears that your control unit has locked up - EPROM seizure. In order to wake it up, disconnect/disconnect the control unit connector under the seat (don't get confused with igniter). Or, you can just disconnect/connect the (-) battery cable. If the problem still exists, manually cycle both actuators by applying the 12 VDC from the battery until the 2/4WD flashing stops.
Good Luck

Old 04-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hayashi

hayashi~
By the way you should have told me all the symptoms at the very beginning so that I could help you better.

Hey I dont think I knew the symptoms in the very Beginning? and freaking out about something else I do sometimes!-LOL Also I just race and break my Toy's I dont really know how to fix them!~LOL But sence I have a garage with a bunch of tools in it now I thought it would be a good time to learn!-lol. But really thanks for your help Hayashi One more quick question in order manually cycle both actuators by applying the 12 VDC from the battery is there a plug connector that Im missing or do I need to just splice the wires. ~coop

Old 04-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hayashi

No need to splice any wire. Just follow the wire upward starting from each actuator and you will see a 5-pin connector. If the actuator motor has no response to 12 VDC, it means it is dead of course. By the way, you should try to reset the control unit FIRST before manually cycling the actuators. Also, check the 10-amp fuse for the control unit. Just remove it, spray some contact cleaner on both fuse blades and fuse receptacle, they apply some di-electric grease, twist the fuse blades slightly (for bette contact) and reinsert it firmly.
Good Luck.