Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BF Fan Issue - I need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF Urgent Problem !!

I am leaving for a over night ride tomorrow in the AM. My radiator fan is not working. My breaker fuse broke last week and I was unable to get a replacement. I was told I could just hot wire the leads to the breaker so I could get by the problem for this weekend. So I bought a 10amp in-line fuse kit and I hot wired the connection. The fan still will not run. To make sure the fan motor is not fried, I connected a 12v battery connnection directly to the fan and it ran. There must be some other breaker or fuse that has tripped. I have checked the main fuses and all is well. I do not know what else I can do. Please let me know if you have any ideas. If you want to call you can call my cell 813-610-5018. Thanks, Steve

Old 04-30-2005, 12:45 AM
Range Rover
Default BF Urgent Problem !!

Well until you locate the situation, you could run a on/off switch in the direct circuit from the battery to the fan. That would get you through until you can locate the problem. Sounds like a bad switch that is either in the hot side of the rad. or in the head itself. 12v to the switch until the temp. reaches a certain temp. which makes up the switch (contact) then sends 12v to the fan to make it come on. Look online for a exploded diagram of the elect. system. You may try different m/c dealers for access to the diagrams. I hope this helps!!!

Old 04-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer
Default BF Fan Issue - I need help ASAP

Yeah, that is my backup plan. I am just frustrated from not being able to find the problem. I have checked so many wires, I just can't seem to find anything other switches.
Do you know where any other secondary switches would be?

Also, there is a wire that leads from just above the oil filter, I assume that is another temp sensor. Last week some weds got in that area and ripped the off about 6 inches from the oil filter and it ripped off the other end up in the upper part of the bike. I replaced the wire. I was just wondering if the problem was related.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 04-30-2005, 01:09 AM
Range Rover
Default BF Fan Issue - I need help ASAP

Without having yours in front of me or mine for that matter (in the shop again) I can't say. There is however a switch that is either in the hot side of your rad. or in the head somewhere in the water jacket. The switch would have to be in that area to tell the fan when to come on. I would start at that wire as it sounds like the fan worked before the torn wire episode. Skin it back again and run a jumper and see if the fan comes on. If not look somewhere else and if it does then waola fix the bad connection wire and go on with it. Just fix it good when you get back.