Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

CDI or VDI for P700>>>> HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI or VDI for P700>>>> HELP!!!

I know this has been beat to death but I can not decide.. I am new to the forum and new to ATV's so I need some help.. I have a 2004 P700 and love it.. I have 26" mudlites on it with ITP C-series rims... I just want to jazz it up a bit.. I hear there is a VDI coming out in June.. Will it be better than the CDI and how good is the CDI... Will I have to rejet.. I run a stock muffler as of now... Thanks..

Old 05-24-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

The VDI guy says his is better than the Dynatek CDI because it has more than one timing curve. Maybe he's right. I have the Dynatek CDI on both quads and good results on both.....really feel it in seat of the pants. Put mine on the P700 late March, '05, no problems. Had the other one a year and a half, no problems.

The best bang for your acceleration dollar is a primary spring from EPI or Dalton....$25~, and it boosts low and mid range as much as the CDI, but lose a couple of mph top end. No free lunches.

A Diamond G snorkle into your air box will give you a lot more air....can't remember cost, but $30~ sounds familiar.

I would leave the exhaust alone.....haven't seen any proven, independent HP gain studies for aftermarket exhausts on the Prairies. On the sport quads, maybe, but not the Prairies. One of the guys did the nyroc mod on his exhaust, wound up buying a replacement oem on e-bay.

Some say exhaust mod adds HP, others say it just sounds better, no HP gain. I'm leaving mine stock.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info... I know there are the Primary spring and secondary springs... Most people are switching the secondary spring to a EPI Black... Is this correct and switching the primary to what??? I have heard the Dalton orange/blue...?? Does changing the springs make that much of a power gain..? Thanks again

Old 05-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

I put the Dalton orange and blue on mine along with their weight kit for stock size tires and I dont notice anything other than it revs up a little bit before moving. the CDI on the other hand was a big boost in acceleration. Maybe I didnt notice what the clutch kit did because I already had the CDI. all I know is this thing takes off about as fast as it can without flipping over.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Drake
The Dalton Orange/Blue primary got my vote. Gives you a lot more snap. I'm still running stock clutch weights, setup works great, & very trail friendly. Not as wheelie prown as the EPI Red.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for the info...

I am looking at the dalton orange/blue and the epi black.. They say you dont get much from the black but it extends belt life.. Would this be the best set up for trail riding.. I like to hot rod around alot... I am only 24 years old so I still like it jazzed up a bit more... Let me know..
Thanks

Old 05-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey I'm new to the forum and also a BF650 owner.
I have been reading on the forum some and I am wondering how will the VDI mod differ from the Dyna CDI other than the VDI being programable? I am looking at buying one and I dont want any hassels. I guess my real question would be...How can the VDI mod improve the timing curve better than the Dyna is already doing ...and How much performance gain will the VDI have over the Dyna once its improved?