Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1st 20 miles on my rebuilt P650 with hi comp pistons & cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st 20 miles on my rebuilt P650 with hi comp pistons & cams

Well, I finally got a chance to test out my newly rebuilt P650 yesterday...went to a local riding place and rode 20 hard miles (per Motoman's method of break-in). Now I need to change the oil and install my Dyna CDI before I go riding again.

IMPRESSIONS:
My seat of the pants meter says my newly rebuilt P650 with 11:1 Wiseco Pistons, Stage 1 Hotcams and ceramic coated Supertrapp IDSX exhaust system is a little bit stronger than it was before these particular mods, but its definitely NOT what I'd call an overwhelming or dramatic improvement so far.

I didn't spend much time at high speeds (only reached 55 mph on this ride), but so far the most noticeable difference was more torque at the low and mid level rpms.

With that said, I must say that I'M DEFINITELY HAPPY with how fast it ran on Friday b/c I did not have my Dyna CDI installed that day (I wanted to wait til after the 1st oil change to install the Dyna CDI). In a nutshell, I expect this motor to be significantly faster after I install the Dyna CDI and also after I get a few hundred break-in miles on her. I'll report back again after I get the Dyna installed and go riding again.

SCORE:
My Modded P650....... 2
Modded BANSHEE...... 0

Here's the funny part of the day...after I put in 15 hard miles, I found an open field where folks like to do some informal drag races...I practiced a few times and then a guy showed up with a modded banshee (FMF pipes, aftermarket front shocks, not sure what else) and I asked him to race me just so I could see how much he'd beat me by. He happily agreed and we lined up. We ran about 200 to 250 feet on a slighly uphill pasture and it gets pretty rough in some places. Well, the banshee had too much wheel spin in our first run and I spanked him readily while in 4wd mode...I was pretty happy about it, but it was obvious that I won thanx to his wheel spin problems. So he lined up on the other side of me next where he was partly in the grass. We took off side by side and stayed there until about 30 or 35...then I walked away from him...he claims he had problems with the rough course and shifting from 3rd to 4th...I didn't care b/c I had just raced a modded Banshee for the very first time and WON TWICE!! The look on this guys face was PRICELESS!!! His modded Banshee just got beat by a UTILITY QUAD!

The best part of the day was afterwards when he came up to me in the parking lot and asked me if I had any mods on my Prairie...I smiled and said "yeah, a little bit"...then I told him about my mods and we had a good laugh. I told him that I'm quite sure he would have smoked me if we had a longer race where he could take advantage of his top-speed.

PS - My motor had an obvious lean condition in the 1/4 to mid throttle and this problem seemed to get worse the more I rode it and the hotter the weather became...I plan to adust the clips on my Dynojet needles by 1 notch richer to see if that clears up this problem.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2005, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your "lean" condition gets worse with the hotter weather than actually your problem is that your too rich.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Reminds me of the days when the 650's were prototypes and were spanking modded honda 400ex's.
good work mickey, keep us updated.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds nice.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] How do you like the P700 belt?

Old 06-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Speedy
Sounds nice.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] How do you like the P700 belt?
Speedy,
I installed a P700 belt on my old 2003 P650 and it gave me 1 mph increase at top-end...probably b/c the P700 belt is a little wider than the old P650 belt. As I understand it, Kaw. stopped making the P650 belt late last year and has replaced it with the P700 belt...so all P650's will eventually switch over to the P700 belt when their old P650 belt wears out.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've thought about hi comp pistons but decided against it cause I don't want to have to run C110 or C112 in it. The next mods I do will be porting I think, still run pump gas and pick up killer power. I've been told by several people that although a little expensive with my mods I can expect to see 10-15 more ponies without it hurting reliability. Hope thats true if so I am going to know some very upset 400 and 450 sport riders.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Fastfatboy,
I don't plan to use race gas...too expensive. I'm told by other Prairie owners who have 11:1 pistons that premium pump gas is fine, so that's what I plan to use. I added some octane booster in the first tank...but that's just for grins, don't plan on doing that very often. I'm told that race gas is probably needed when you get to 12.5:1 compression, but not 11:1 (of course, this varies depending on the motor).

Old 06-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mentalmojave
If your "lean" condition gets worse with the hotter weather than actually your problem is that your too rich.
You may be right...I adjusted the needles 1 clip richer last night and took it up the street...seemed to run a little worse/not better. I might have to do it again and go leaner this time. Thats the problem with re-jetting, its all trial and error.