Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Info On Big Bore Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info On Big Bore Kit

What big bore kits are available for the P700? Are they dependable? Is it something that can be done by myself or do I have to send it off? I have access to most all tools and machines and alot of repair experience. Do the people that have them think they are worth the money they have in it? Sorry for all the questions. I planned on a new Kaw 800 EFI, but looks like it will not happen for awhile so maybe just I'll just stick some money into a upgrade. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

There is a kit out there and if I remember it was about 2500- 3000 this included valve porting, and labor I believe. It was the same kit they use on the v-700 and it goes to 784 cc or something like that. I was thinking of doing the same thing, since I was waiting for that sra 800 also.
Maybe someone has more info and who to contact.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

Did you read anything about how much it improved the performance?

Old 07-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

They did it on a vforce I believe and If I remember right they almost doubled hp to the 90's at fly wheel. It may of been in dirt wheels mag.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

Well I was afraid it would make it tempermental and getting the work done would take way to long to give up riding for that long so I bought a new Twin peaks and dropped it off at my Quad race shop to have the FST 800 kit installed. As it has turned out it is tempermental and now a year later we had to tear the motor down to try and resolve the cooling issue, turned out the rear sleave dropped down a few 1000th's and created a very minor but very significant head gasket problem. I have been told now that that is not that uncommon with this type of head ???? I am told if will not slip now that it set and they are going to deck it and put on a new gasket and put it all back together. that seemingly minor little problem has given me overheating fits ever sence it was built 1 year ago next month. I could run it up the sand drags and themn let it cool down, trail riding was out of the question . I am told this will not be a problem again and I should have no problem trail riding it or dragging it all day long. Will see in a few weeks when I get it back. It is fast I do know that. When it is nice and cool nothing at the dunes around here can tuch it short of custom drag quads with there extended swing arms. I will put it this way when it is nice and cool nothing with a stock swing arm has out ran it at the sand drags. Even running hot it still gives modded banshees and 450r's a heck of run. I love it LOL. I would do it again but only the way I did where I still had a regular rider to use wile getting it put together and workong out the bugs. Its not cheap by any strech of the imagination. I have over 10K in it so far, But the look on a raptor or 450 owner a the end of the drag run is priceless. Last time I was at the dunes it was the talk of strip, My trailer ball seemed to get more than a few comments. I do not really pulll things with it, the ball is what the Guard Dog truck tiedown hooks to. It s a great sleaper.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

Wow' thanks cc1999 for the info.
That may change a couple minds on a big bore kit.
Good luck with yours and thanks again for the story.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

I will let you know if the problem is finaly resolved here in a week or two when I get it back from the shop. I will be glad when we finaly get it all ironed out. When it gets put back together it will have even more compression than it did before so we will have to retune it on the dyno. I am getting about 55hp at the wheels now, compared to a stock 700's 32 or a stock 650's 28hp. After the repairs we are thinking we might get that 55hp number up into the low 60's. If we finally have the motor right I am looking at a boondocker NOS kit for this winters project. that should get me up to around 75 to 80hp at the wheels we hope anyway. I am planning on mounting the NOS tank in one of those hard case rack boxes on the rear rack just to scew with the little sport quads a little more. Giving it an even more of farmer joe look with a hard case tool box to go along with the trailer ball, that ott to give it a chance even against some of the drag quads.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

CC-1999
To use a quote from Bugs Bunny..."You are a little Stinker."
You should have your digital camera too capture & share some of those "WTF," I just got dusted by a Utility Quad expressions.

Just curious, if the sleeve slipped down is the people doing the work covering the labor for your new rebuild?

Old 07-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Ya, I feel bad though theese are performance modds and I kinda think I should pay them somthing. It was not my mechanics falt, it was more the falt of the machine shop that installed the sleeves. The machine shop he uses is taking care of the problem no charge. My mechanic is the one getting the shaft though. he will have well over a dozen hours of his time he will be eating on this deal plus a new set of head gaskets and all the comp time over the past year trying to figure this out. I have spent somthing close to 600.00 bucks over the past year trying this and that trying to cool it down. We tryed three different coolants pulled the t-stat, rewired the fan to a switch, rejeted 4 times, four hours of dyno time. changed the oil 3 time looking for signs of coolant or some sign that a head gasket was blown. The sleeve dropping just a few thousanths caused the head gasket to get a very small gap in it do to the presure put on it by the sleve not being where it should be. No coolant was ever found in the oil or any of the normal signs of a blow head gasket other than running hot. My mechanic feels very confident that the sleaves have settled and will never move again. the heads are back from the machine shop and now we are just waiting on head gaskets from FST.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Man, that's service!!! Inmotions will be my choice if I go the 765 Route. Don't think I want the hassle of shipping my Motor off. From all the experience Inmotions has gained on yours, a 765 kit should be a piece of cake.

I remember reading sleeve problems was what grenaded one of Prairiewrench's/SteveO machines? Keep us posted on Dyno numbers & how she runs with the JUICE. Sounds like she's going to be one wild ride and a lot of sobbing sport quads at the dunes.

Quick Reply: Info On Big Bore Kit