Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Overheating Sometimes......??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overheating Sometimes......??????

I have noticed that my BF750 has overheated a few times. Really the digital overheat display starts flashing. I checked the coolant and it seems fine as far as level is concerned. I even put some ethylene glycol (antifreeze) in it, but to no avial. I put my finger in the coolant to see if it was really hot and it slightly was, but not too bearable. I know my 700prairie overheated in the past, but it was due to the radiator having too much mud on the back side. But on my BF750, I have made sure the radiator has stayed clean and free of mud. I have my 4 year warrenty but was wondering if you guys had any ideas before I took it in. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get an infared thermometer and measure the temp to see if it is really overheating - I had to change my brother in laws temp sensor because it was giving erradic readings just like you are describing and the dealer looked it over several times and told him all was well and they could not get it to replicate. Once I changed the sensor the problem went away

Old 07-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

Recommend you install a mechanical gauge, then you will know for sure.

My 2 cents....

Old 07-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

my brute 750 was doing that all the time, I had always kept the rad clean (yes front and back) and the icon was coming on every ride i added purple ice to it and the icon has never came on again, it keeps it a bit cooler, it worked for me, thats also just my 2 cents of course.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get the "PURPLE ICE" and what is it? It must have better thermo-properties than ethylene glycol. Thanks for the good advice.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

I got the purple ice from my local custom car parts dealer, its put out by "royal purple" if you go to there website you should find someone who sells it in your area the info on the bottle explains what it is and i think it explains it on the web site, theres also something out there called water wetter which is the same thing, and theres something called engine ice but that is allready pre mixed so you have to drain all your coolant out. just type in royal purple or purple ice and you should find the website or call around auto parts stores and ask if they have royal purple products
like i said, the coolant in my brute was always boiling and i put purple ice in and it has not done it since. some one told me it keeps it 20 degrees cooler

Old 07-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

I use evans in mine, It won't freez or boil. Since it wount boil it will maintain a better flow through the motor when hot and it will also not leave you low on capacity of coolant to circulate through like others that might boil out and leave you low. I have tryed several differnt types on my 800 trynig to come up with one that would keep my big bore 800 cool. Evans was holding temperature the best and would allow the motor to run the logest without getting hot. We finaly took the motor back down and found a sleave had slipped which made the a very small gap in the rear cylinders head gasket. So even with a bad head gasket the evens would not boil and hold temp the longest of any of the brands we tried. Here is a link to evans coolants if you want to check them out.

But you really should not have a cooling problem to have to use one of these. I was thinking, have you ever had your jetting checked? I recall some of the BF 750i's made it out of the factory with the wrong jets in the carbs that was causing some heat issuses , to the extent the head pipes were glowing on some of them. This was back when they first came out. I am not sure how long you have had yours, But I would bet the dealer could check your serial number or somthing to see if it was one that might have been effected by that deal. To lean does not always show in performance, but can make one run to hot.