Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Glowing red rear cyl. tail pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glowing red rear cyl. tail pipe

I'd say put it all back together with the carbs cleaned, put 2 new plugs in run it and see what they look like. If it's still lean try looking for an air leak by spraying starting fluid around areas likely to have the leak. If it starts reving higher you've found your leak. Be very careful with the starting fluid around exhaust and spark plug wires. Should burn itself out rather quickly, but you may want to have an extinguisher handy just in case and definetely do it outside.
If you still can't find anything do a compression test. Maybe you got an exhaust valve not seating properly.

Old 10-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Trailblazer

Just saw that it is smoking ever so slightly during start up and while it warms up, but goes almost completely away after it is warm.

It's not a white smoke, you have to really look to see it, and it smells kind of sour.

I have no idea what it is.

Old 10-16-2005, 01:46 AM
Range Rover

blawhorn..take the 152 put it in the rear--Take the 158,,and put it in the front...see if it will Kool it down

Old 10-16-2005, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

Why would that cool it down? That would put a smaller jet in the rear! If the pipe is glowing it's a little lean, but pipes glow... ever ride with a YFZ at night? You could light a cigarette with it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: justgo
blawhorn..take the 152 put it in the rear--Take the 158,,and put it in the front...see if it will Kool it down
Definetely DON'T do this. You could do some damage to your motor. They design it with the rear a little richer on purpose.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MetalAlien
Why would that cool it down? That would put a smaller jet in the rear! If the pipe is glowing it's a little lean, but pipes glow... ever ride with a YFZ at night? You could light a cigarette with it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The yfz's and z400s (05& 06) come with titanium head pipes. They are a lot thinner, but stronger and lighter, than steel. Since they are thinner they put off more heat and will glow red even under normal conditions. The yfz'z also come from the factory quite lean, and should be re-jetted, which makes this much more noticable.
I don't believe the v-force comes with titanium head pipes. If you have steel head pipes and they're glowing red you've most likely got a lean condition, plugged exhaust (Although atv's don't have cat.s, which is what would be plugged on a car.), or a problem with your valves.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

Rode it today, still has the infamous mid throttle spitting, but you can not see the pipe glowing in the daylight, only at night, so maybe it's not too bad.

Fan didnt come on today either.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

blawhorn, one thing you might check is the valve lash. I had a situation last year on one of our race motors. A poly lock came loose and the rocker came off. Before it came off that cylinder got really hot. Just something else to check.
152,158 is jetted pretty fat for a stock quad; even at sea level.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you ever bring your bike in and have the needle changed? I bought mine from a dealer in town, they had a kawasaki dealer about 1 1/2 hours from here so for the $300 dollar difference compared the local kawasaki dealer i had them deliver one here. They dealt with polaris, and now deal with honda, arctic cat, and polaris. I could never run my bike at low rpms without a misfire or popping and it woudl honestly take about an hour before it would run halfway decent in the winter. Come to find out they had to change the needles or jets with some of the early ones like mine. I think i had my bf in there about 5 times, because it would kill one of the plugs on me. They said they changed what had to be changed in my carbs but it kept doing it. The last time he told me to change out the plug and see if it would do it again and i had enough by then. I said no its a brand new bike why should I have to touch it? So I brought it to the local kawasaki dealer and they have treated me the greatest! Never had a dealer so willing to help. Well they fixed my problem and said it didnt seem as though they even changed anything, they were just changing out the back sparkplug out and that was it. I think it was only in one carb that they had to change something out. Not only did they fix that but they told me that the valves were suppose to be readjusted which the other dealer had no clue about. Check with your dealer about the valve adjustment and the needle, im pretty sure thats what it was. Hope that helps you

Old 10-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Sparky8370
They run the rear cylinder a little fatter because it gets hotter. Not as much airflow across it, and the air is already heated from the front cylinder. Just like on triple 2 strokes, they run the middle a little fatter. (Refering to the jet sizes here.)
This would be true if the kawi was air cooled it is not
The length of the head pipes is diffrent if they were the same length the jetting would be the same

Quick Reply: Glowing red rear cyl. tail pipe