Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

changing secondary spring ?s

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default changing secondary spring ?s

I want to put a black secondary spring on the 360 . I hear that is a great mod. Also, If i do this, all i have to do is change the spring out right. I dont have to take the shims out or anything right. Also, what is the link or # i can call epi and order a spring. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes all you have to change is the spring, wont have to mess with the shims. but, check your belt deflection since your going to be in there anyways, and if its off any would be a good time to shim it. as for epi I dont know of a # to call, I think you just have to go through a parts unlimited dealer but I may be wrong? dunno good luck

Old 11-15-2005, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with bruteforcebob, but you have to be kind of lucky to put that spring in and stay within spec.

I have a black spring to put in, but it's only purpose is only to extend the life of the belt. With the black spring, the clutch grips the belt tighter, less slip, lose just a little hp to more friction on the belt. I think I'll wait awhile, until I need a new belt, to put the spring in.

Going to put a Dalton orange/blue or EPI maroon in my primary for the best inexpensive mod you can do to your bike. Gives as much acceleration difference, imo, as a dynatek cdi. Very easy to do also. Will lose a little top end, but how often are you riding flat out when you're on the trails. Not very often. I don't even know how fast mine will go top end.

To order the spring, you can just google in something like 'epi clutch spring kawasaki', and you should see the EPI site come up among the others google finds. You don't need a clutch kit, just a black spring.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

To take the secondary clutch off, do i need some kind of clutch puller or does the cluth come off when i unbolt it?

Old 11-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

To see what you need and how to do it complete with pictures, go to nyroc website, tech tips.

No clutch puller required, but that nut is really on there. Use torque wrench when putting the nut back on. I've gotten along ok with a breaker bar and socket extension braced under one of the bosses....watch which direction to loosen (it shows with an arrow on the outside of the sheave, I believe it's left handed thread). You can get the belt off by turning the sheave cw while twisting the belt at the bottom (watch fingers!). Goes back on same way, but ccw. Put the key in your pocket before you take off the converter cover, don't put the key back in until you have put the cover back on.

alwaysride, I would get an assortment of shims before going in there and doing that work only to have it squeal when you take off. What was in my P650 from the factory was a 1.4mm shim. I got one each 0.6, 0.8, 1.0 and 1.2 mm shims from the dealer, or you can get them from ronayers site.

I replaced the 1.4mm with a 0.6mm, it was too tight and squealed when in gear. Finally put in a 1.0mm shim and it was quiet, no squeal at idle (not too tight) and no chirp at takeoff (not too loose).

Old 11-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider