Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Comparison of Specs: BF650i vs. BF650 SRA

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comparison of Specs: BF650i vs. BF650 SRA

Took a quick look at the BF650i specs today. Here are a few of the differences I noticed and my opinion as to which version offers the best specs.

SUSPENSION: Obviously, the "i" version has double a-arms up front and IRS in the rear, whereas the SRA version has struts up front and SRA in the rear. The i version allows almost 1" more travel in the rear suspension than the SRA version. NOTE: The the front end on the BF650i is new and improved over the current design used in the BF750i version, so hopefullly the BF650i will handle better than the BF750i. Only time will tell if the BF650i's suspension equates to better/lighter handling as compared to the BF650 SRA.
**WINNER: TOO SOON TO TELL

MOTOR: Both machines have the same bore and stroke, but the BF650i has a special cylinder coating (but not nikisil as is used on the BF750???) instead of the sleeves used on the BF650 SRA version. Also, the BF650i has a lighter crank (for faster revving?). It also includes upgrades in other minor motor/trans parts to save weight. HOWEVER, the BF650i total dry weight is listed at 606 lbs...which is actually 4lbs heavier than the SRA version and also 2lbs heavier than the BF750. Another motor change on the BF650i is the use of bigger 34mm downdraft carbs similar to the ones on the BF750. These BF650i carbs have a more direct shot into the heads and should provide better flow/better throttle response than the BF650 SRA carbs. The larger size of the i carbs should equate to better top-end performance (I'm guessing???). The "i" version's airbox design is different too...I'm guessing from the discription that the BF650i airbox is similar to the BF750 design...which is not necessarily a good thing according to folks how have reported problems with their BF750 airbox.
**WINNER: BF650i

SEAT HEIGHT/DIMENSIONS: The i version is a WHOPPING 35.7" and thats almost 2" taller than the seat height on the BF650 SRA. I much prefer a lower seat height so as to lower the center of gravity for quicker turns in the tight woods. When looking at seat height, wheelbase, length and width, the i version is a tad bit narrower, taller, and longer than the SRA version. For stability purposes, I prefer shorter and wider over taller and narrower.
**WINNER: BF650 SRA

GROUND CLEARANCE: The i version boasts 10" of GC, which is almost 3" better than the SRA version.
**WINNER: BF650i

FUEL CAPACITY: The i version lists a 5.4 gas tank, which is little more than 1/2 gal bigger than the SRA version's gas tank.
**WINNER BF650i

PRICE: The i version is a whopping $7099 MSRP, which is $500 more than the SRA version.
**WINNER: BF650 SRA

I'm not going to pick an overall winner b/c I haven't gotten to ride either one yet. I just wanted to post some spec differences that I noticed. If anyone else sees more differences that I left out, please post below. Of course, I always welcome everyone's comments on how they think these specs compare.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comparison of Specs: BF650i vs. BF650 SRA

That's a good way of looking at things but the bottom line in comparing these two is the IRS vs SRA. If you want more sport and like to break that rear end around then go for the SRA. If you're more into technical riding or want a more comfortable ride then get the IRS.

Most of the rest of the bike is a proven machine. It's probably that any engine improvements that are on the "I" version will find there way into the SRA model soon.

Jaybee