Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BF break. How did it happen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF break. How did it happen?

I have seen a lot of threads about BF 750i parts breaking but there is rarely a story about how it happened. So far I have read about the 05 tie rod recall, front diffs failing (gears and case), ball joints, and steam in the carbs. I'm sure there are others.

The reason I'm asking is because anything will fail if abused enough. I see videos on the internet of people testing (abusing) their ATV's all the time. My cousin bought a BF 750i about a month before I did. The other day I asked him how many hours he had on it and he said 8. I said it's not even past the 10 hour break in period. He said what break in period. He didn't know there was a break in period and has been riding it hard core since day one. I'm sure this will lead to premature failures later.

So what is it? Are these machines that bad, or is there more to the story?

Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

You already answered your question. Mostly it is rider induced problems. I have 40 hours on my BF and the only thing went bad was a bent tierod when I hit the a rut. Other than that, the machine still runs like when new. And I use synthetic oil including in the front diff, just to be safe. IMO, it doesn't matter what brand/model you ride, the longevity of your bike "mainly" depends how you treat it.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not sure if this is correct or not, but the dealer that I bought my BF from told me it was ok to run it hard right out of the box...
He doesn't know me very well...I baby most of my toys, truck, boat, etc....I will go with the owners manual and utilize the 10 hr break in period.
No problems with mine....and the 27" bigfoot kit really improved the overall stance and ground clearance.
Works for me......

Old 01-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

there is a site (mototuneusa.com, i think) where a motorcycle mechanic goes in depth about the break in hard thing. he says that the piston rings need pressure to seat. he has pics of stacks of pistons taken from running bikes broken in both ways. it's good reading even if it doesn't change your mind. just find the break-in link on the home page.

monty

Old 01-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

the only guy I know with a Brute other than me has had a lot of problems and he absolutely KILLS his ATVs. He has destroyed a Foreman 400, Grizz 660 and now a Brute Force. you bet it has to do with how you treat them. somewhere people got the idea that things are super-mechanical beasts that don't require maint and can be sunk up to the handlebars without any lasting effects.

on the other hand, some things that failed were because of design flaws. the tie rods obviously and which Kawi is replacing, and the airbox let mud into his motor, which they did not cover under warranty. I was there the day his engine blew up and he was not in deep enough to take on water, it was because he was throwing mud with his tires trying to get out and the engine sucked it down.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Hayashi
You already answered your question. Mostly it is rider induced problems. I have 40 hours on my BF and the only thing went bad was a bent tierod when I hit the a rut. Other than that, the machine still runs like when new. And I use synthetic oil including in the front diff, just to be safe. IMO, it doesn't matter what brand/model you ride, the longevity of your bike "mainly" depends how you treat it.
My break in service is next Friday, didnt know if you could use synthetic oils in the BF if so whats a good brand to use? I have 14 hours on my BF, other than rolling it end over after I went over the bars nothing has broke or tore up even after my plunge.
Spent most of my break in time riding creeks, been through some fairly deep water however no big mud holes.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Range Rover

States, check out www.amsoil.com. They have great 10w40 synthetic oil, and they have good filters too. Not cheap, but not the most expensive either. If you pay $10 you can be a preferred customer for 6 months and get a lot better pricing on their stuff. If you have any questions, they are more than helpful.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

I run Ams oil 10-w40 in mine. Ialso run full syn in the front diff too. I got 500+ miles on it and it has some issues, but i beat my machine. If you beat on something, its only a matter of time before it breaks.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

2005bf750-

How did you total your 700 EFI?

Old 01-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

let's just say I outran the headlights lol. I hit a big trench running wide open at night. the ditch was caused by a heavy rain and wasn't normally there.

Quick Reply: BF break. How did it happen?