ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kawasaki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/)
-   -   PRAIRIE 360 ODOMETER... hookup (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kawasaki/233579-prairie-360-odometer-hookup.html)

SALTFLATT 03-13-2006 09:52 AM

PRAIRIE 360 ODOMETER HOOKPUP

Hi Folks,

Well, this forum has been very helpful, more so than the dealer!!

1st, I asked this forum where does the cable from the odometer/speedometer hook in, nice folks told me of a bag, under the front cover. This was great... I found that, took the bag off and found one male (black wire), and one "flat", rubber coated female connector with two brown wires into it. The speedometer from Kawasaki, has three round male plugs! Black, green and red.

Do I need some sort of adapter to connect this thing?!?!?

Strange... the odometer I have is the one Kawasaki has in the part list for this atv model...

Any suggestions/help appreciated.

tencubed 03-13-2006 05:35 PM

PRAIRIE 360 ODOMETER... hookup

I dug out the service manual for my '03 P360 and the electrical system diagram shows only one connector that has two brown wires hooked to it. This is labeled "horn" which must be for an add on or for another country.

The connector you are looking for is on the left side of the handlebars and under the plastic. There will be another black bag with three wires which are listed as "Battery - Red, Battery - Black and Speed Sensor Pulse - Green".

There is another thread covering this that indicates you need to remove the front rack, front fender and fuel tank cover. The manual says to remove the front fender, switch housing, and the brake master cylinder. Don't know if all this is required as I don't think my son took off the master cylinder when he put mine on.

All of this is from a manual for the '03 model, don't know how much different yours will be.

SALTFLATT 03-14-2006 09:06 AM

Tencubed... THANK YOU so much!

I was getting pretty frustrated, the dealer does not want to tell me, I can't find a manual (service) for the 06's, but I bet the wiring config is pretty much the same.

I will post and let you know if I hit paydirt! By the way, I bet you have some terrific ridin up your way, must be some sights to see - Utah has some pretty crazy stuff... you almost think you are on another planet when you go down thru the southern part of the state-the things wind, water and rain have done to the terrain is amazing.

Thanks Again!

SALTFLATT

tencubed 03-14-2006 05:00 PM

Your welcome.

I had to wait a couple of weeks to get the service manual. Dealer ordered it but it has been worth the bucks and wait.

Their are some great areas to ride in Washington and Oregon particularly if you have access to private land. We use our quads primarily for work on the farm with a little sport riding. I have been thru most of the western states and would like to take a few months to explore each of them. Since I retired it seems I am busier than when I worked full time what with helping the kids remodel kitchens and such.

Hope you are able to get the speedo in and working with no problems.

SALTFLATT 03-21-2006 10:34 AM

Hey Tencubed,

Found the connector directly underneath the left side just as you said! All I had to do was take the front rack off, take a few screws out of the left fender, very easy... once you know where it is!!

Thanks again!

SALTFLATT

tencubed 03-21-2006 08:08 PM

Yeah, they are easy to put on. I handed mine to my son , pointed at the quad and told him "This goes on that". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Glad it worked out.

chwebmaker 06-22-2007 11:53 AM

These forums rock! I bought a speedometer from the Kawasaki dealer last week. They were being secretive about how to install it. They wanted 2 hours of labor to install the speedometer. After reading the this forum string I did exactly what Saltflat and Tencubed said to do and I completed the installation in 45 min. Thanks guys! The speedometer looks very sharp.

tencubed 06-22-2007 09:57 PM

Glad it worked out for you. Lots of good information on this site thats for sure. What year is your quad? Kind of interested in how many years they used the same basic wiring harness.

chwebmaker 06-22-2007 10:21 PM

I have a 2007 Prarie 360. So I guess they haven't changed much over the past 5 years or so. I took one screw out of the plastic tank cover, 6 screws out of the left outside fender, and 2 screws out of the left under side plastic fender. Then I jammed a piece of wood under it to pry it up so I could reach the two bags holding the wiring harnesses. The little bag held the three wires and the color coding matched the wiring harness for the speedometer. Hooked her up, put the screws back in, and took her for a spin. The speedometer lights up nicely. Looks sharp. It's a shame that Kawasaki doesn't make this standard on all 360's.

I have the service manual and it wasn't really clear in the manual exactly what needed to be done. Your expertise made this job stressfree and satisfying. I loath taking any piece of machinery to the dealer and paying rediculous prices for work that I can do myself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Is there a way to post pictures on this site? I would have posted some pictures of before and after but I couldn't figure out how to post them.

chwebmaker 06-22-2007 10:22 PM

Oh yeah...I almost forgot, I also had to take off the front rack on the top.