Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2005 BF 750 Water problems??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 BF 750 Water problems??

Well ive spent the last couple hours reading topics on this model and ive learned quite a few things...

But i havent been able to find out if getting water in your oil is a common problem??
my second time out with my Brute Force 750 was this weekend, i got 2 miles down a trail and big puff of smoke out the exhaust and the engine died.......
The only other time i took it out i went through some puddles, not extremely deep, just plowed right through them to get wet.. I wouldnt think that would cause my oil to be full of water???

Anyways i took it back to the dealership as its still under warranty.. ive only had it a week [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

ill also be asking the dealership monday if the tie rods were replaceed as i saw that was a recall on here...

If anyone has any idea's on the water in oil problem it would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Did you check your oil prior to starting that second ride? If it looked milky or off color then you had water in it at that time. If it was just good oil then you must have developed an internal leak in the engine that allowed water from the cooling system to get into the oil.

Shure hope the oil was clear before you started your second ride, would make a big differance on rather they honor the warrantee or not.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you check your oil prior to starting that second ride? If it looked milky or off color then you had water in it at that time. If it was just good oil then you must have developed an internal leak in the engine that allowed water from the cooling system to get into the oil.
I actualy checked the oil after the 1st ride to make sure it was decent and it was... so i didnt bother checking before that 2nd ride..
im curious to see what they are going to tell me.. i guess ill know monday sometime [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

I would think if there was a problem from the puddles then it would have shown at the end of the first ride. From what info you have it really sounds like an internal engine problem.

When our P360 had around ten hours on it the crank siezed up in one of the main bearings. Problem with assembly at the factory. Our dealer was very good about the problem, let me talk with the mechanic and inspect the bad parts. Repair work was fast and service courtious. That was at RMC in Renton, Washington. Hope your dealer treats you as well, I have heard some horror stories.

I would really like to know what you find out, how you are treated and the name and location of the dealership.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

well the dealership called me this morning and told me they wouldnt be able to look at it until thursday and next week monday at the latest.. screw that.. i picked it up and changed the oil, let it run about 10 minutes, changed the oil again, let it run about 10 minutes, changed the oil again...

Did that 4 times and now the oil i put in looks normal
i also changed the spark plug and oil filter right away.. im gonna go for some trail rides and see what happens this week sometime, than change the oil again after that.... Hopfuly it stays good :S

Old 05-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

make sure all the clamps are tight around the carb

Old 05-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

You must have '05 model. Buy those inner splash guards that are standard on '06 model. Front tires are kicking up the water into the air intake. If yours is '06, you need to modify the guards to increase the protection.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Wildcountry
aight.. Ill definitly make sure thanks

Originally posted by: Hayashi
You must have '05 model. Buy those inner splash guards that are standard on '06 model. Front tires are kicking up the water into the air intake. If yours is '06, you need to modify the guards to increase the protection.
yup 05 model..

If the tires are kicking water into the air intake how would the water get into the oil?? thats the part that i dont understand..

Sorry for all the questions guys.. this is just the onlyplace ive been able to find online that can help me learn more about this machine as im new to the ATV scene

Old 05-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: Krazyk59
Originally posted by: Wildcountry
aight.. Ill definitly make sure thanks

Originally posted by: Hayashi
yup 05 model..

If the tires are kicking water into the air intake how would the water get into the oil?? thats the part that i dont understand..

Sorry for all the questions guys.. this is just the onlyplace ive been able to find online that can help me learn more about this machine as im new to the ATV scene
Your not the only one learning from this exchange you can be sure of that.

I agree with you that if it were intrusion thru the intake in the quantities needed to cause the problem you described it would have been noticed at the time. Also the oil should have been discolored at the end of the first ride.

I sure didn't know about the problems with the shields under the front fenders, good info.

I suspect you have checked the coolant to see if any has disappeared or not. Almost have to be low if that is the source of the oil contamination.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your not the only one learning from this exchange you can be sure of that.

I agree with you that if it were intrusion thru the intake in the quantities needed to cause the problem you described it would have been noticed at the time. Also the oil should have been discolored at the end of the first ride.

I sure didn't know about the problems with the shields under the front fenders, good info.

I suspect you have checked the coolant to see if any has disappeared or not. Almost have to be low if that is the source of the oil contamination.
the first ride i actualy tore off a hose for engine coolant lol... so i ended up fixing that on the first ride and putting more coolant in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].. the coolant level never changed after that...

this is my first ATV that ive bought, i normaly just barrow my girlfriends parents..... hell ive submerged her parents up to the handle bars and ive never had this problem.. we actualy end up in water that deep alot with theyr honda ranchers.... from my searching on here the kawi isnt really made to go in water deeper than the top of your tires... ill figure somthing out lol...

My g/fs brother has a kaw 650 prairie that we submerge also and it never has problems...

oh well.. I guess ill buy some of them front splash guards they are talking about and keep doing research on how to water proof it more [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] because when i see mud or water i cant resist.. its just as good as sex to me LOL

Quick Reply: 2005 BF 750 Water problems??