Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota Went to The MX Track

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakota Went to The MX Track

Hey all, it's been awhile since i've been here, but I've still been rockin the Kota.

Anyways we finally got a "Quad Practice" MX track alittle local in Batavia.
So I showed up with the Kota, ill be honest, i've never been on a track, but i have seen my share of jumps. At first I was a little overwhelmed, watching a pimped out blaster catch good air.........but i geared up and went out there....keep in mind this was just an "open practice" so the first couple laps i took REAL slow...basically rolling over the jumps just because....I didnt know what was on the other side!......but after a few I was up to pace with all the other quads. there was about 10 quads all together.....the quads ranged......but i had the most fun racing back in forth with a blaster and a z 400.....there was a slow raptor rider...a couple of fast 450s and a banshee. This is my conclusion - The Lakota performed well being basically the heaviest machine there. I had to really tug on the bars at the tip of the jumps to keep my front end up, leaving my arms shot at the end of the day, but she preloaded nice and handled real bad landings, however my front bottomed out a few times, making me sketchy. But I ran with everything but the 450s, those guys just smoked everyone, more or less comming out of turns, just because of the high torque.

I think in a 250 - 300cc race i would do good, but im honestly ready for more power, or maybe just a good track bike...what do u guys think?
throw just a little more $ into the kota or pick up a blaster, mojave, or a 400ex with little $

Thanks for reading, its good to be back here

Old 06-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BigChris, where where you riding at in Batavia? Area 51? If you are looking fro more power or a better track bike, you can pick up a 250R for a decent price these days. I'm not sure the lakota will get you the track performance you want unless you can convert it to a manual clutch. Otherwise, there always seems to be a few nice 400ex's bored and widened, etc. around for sale.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

Well hay big chris. Very long time on here my self.

As you know I had quite some racing done on a kota a couple years back. If you want to run on the track switch back to your 12T front sprocket. When you first start on the tracks you tend to have a stop and go effect untill you get into the flow of carrying your momentum. On the kota you will notice about second third lap she tends to fade on power and get a little sloppy.

The 13T sprocket tends to slip the clutch leaving corners and not biting as well when you blip the throttle. The 12T lets you carry better tourque out of the corners and be more responsive when you blip the throttle to lighten the front end when passing over breaking bumps, whoops and what have you.

I also found in jumping to mash the throtle going up the face of jumps will carry the front end very high. I had found mashing it up the faces of jumps and then letting off rite by the peak let you jump on a nice even plain. Also about one foot or so before landing mash the thottle again and it will smooth out the landings very very much.

What ever quad you own will take some practice to get use to. The kota treated me very well on the tracks. But I practiced about three to four times a week and raced two to three times a month. At first I strugled, after I just flew like the rest.

Obviously thier are many realy nice race quads these days, but how many thousands do you want to spend to ride on the track.

What ever you decide just ride them and have fun.

One other note, I seem to remember you were quite a large feller. Think about this do to the race quads will have very soft suspention and may not last long for you.

I'm 6' 1" @ 230lbs. I had spent many moons tuning my old kota for me. Like I said if I remember rite your a much bigger man than me.

Gaff

Old 06-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

dude i would mod out just your a arms and axle and suspenion. Does any like 400 or anything suspension go onto the lakota??? does anyone know??? Id stay with the kota and mod it out, Those mojaves are awesome too

Old 07-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys,

Well I'm kinda torn wether I want to try to save some $ for a race quad, or just toss a little more $ into the lakota -$400 to be exact for tires and wheel spacers....but im still thinking on it.. I am curious as to if the 400ex front shocks will bolt up to the front easily....anyone know?
the rear shock is perfect, I have that on 3rd click and she handles herself fine. I guess what I'm mainly concerned about is the fact that shes so heavy, plus 200lbs of me (by the way im 5'8 200lbs-gaff you were close) but im alittle worried I might crack the frame with some serious jumping. Also, if i get 20inch tires, will that balance out not running a 12t sprocket? and honestly, I have always ran 87octane in her, even on the track, how much difference will 93octane do if i fill her with that.....thats it for now guys!
all suggestions welcome!

Old 07-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

Another quick thing, Gaff, how did all your steering system parts hold up under heavy jumping I noticed some play in my handlebars moving forward and back just a tad, but everything is tight, im also concerned about the part where the A-arms connect to the tires bending ( i forgot the name of that part)...i think i may have a slight bend on one already.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are worried about your steering components durability, then wheel spacers may be a bad move. They really put a lot of stress on your components due to the extra leverage the wheel gains over stock width. For jumping and such, you should always make the quad wider by installing a-arms/axle. It is a much more expensive option initially, but a safer one in the long run.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

Chris,

the front end held up perfect. I flipped the the front rims around (takes a air valve mod) and ran a 23" XCT tire, worked awsome. I also ran the shreader 20" rear wheels (actual hieght was 1/2" lower than stock.
I also ran the third notch on the rear shock and softest setting on the fronts.
The single best mod is the steering stabalizer. I used the one for the mojave.
I would have loved new front shocks, but at the time the lakota just left ute status and went to sport status and mods were slim and none.

The frames week point is where the rear of the a-arm attaches to the frame. there is no cross brace there and many lakota/mojave racers have hooked the front wheel and crushed the frames. I had a full prm skid that must have held mine together.

In a year in a half I ran twenty four races and countless practice sessions and my lakota was just as sound machanicly like I bought it. Never bearing, axle or what ever problems. But I did tear it down alot and greased or cleaned everything.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

i would stick with ur lakota too, there arnt too many of them and once u get used to it they handle real well............if you shop around and look real hard over a period of time you can find parts real cheap......i would pick up a durablue eliminator axle(i just saw one brand new on ebay for $150 buy it now), some burgard a-arms($400), maxxis razr tires 21x7x10 in the front and 20x11x10 in the rear mounted on some .190 aluminum wheels and you will have a nice mx machiene to start off with and then you could get into internal engine mods and suspension.....i also have a pep steering stabilizer and i agree with gaff that it was one of the best mods i have gotton for it

My steering stem also moves up and down a little bit, that is a real common problem with lakotas and mojaves, it is the bottom steering stem berring(well it is on mine anyway) and i think when i looked in to it a while back the whole berring and housing needed to be replaced as an assembly but i hardly even notice it on mine.

with my mods i run a 14/43 with 20 inch tires in the rear and it has tons of mid range power but is not lacking at all on bottom end but for you i would go with the 12 tooth for the stock 22s........i like my lakota and would not get rid of it because there are not alot of them at all and it always blows peoples mind when they see it because they cant figure out what it is....it really messes them up because mine is orange and then i tell em its a kawasaki lol but it took alot of my time and especailly $$$$ to get my lakota where its at now and i just dont think i would ever be able to part with it lol.......and when i really wanna go wild on a track i just take my kx out for a ride.....

Old 07-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

It's been along time I sold my Lakota in April 02. I popped on here just to check out some info about a couple other quads I have.

That thing was a blast. The wieght finally did get to me, but I was 39 at the time too, probly the age thing.

I even converted it to alky for my sons science project. What a ride that was.

Those things are fine to race or what ever you do. get use to this one and if you still want to persue racing, get a 450 like every one else. You will be shocked how the rite person on anything can do well. Just depends on how much you want it. I have friends that have killer quads, they ride them once a year or so.

Quick Reply: Lakota Went to The MX Track