Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Still overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still overheating

Hey back a few months ago I was having problems with my 05 Prairie 700 overheating. Well I did like I was instructed took off the front plastic panels and cleaned the radiator out (it was blocked up pretty bad)check the anti freeze etc. Thought I fixed the problem but it is still overheating. I have to stop when riding and wait until the temp light goes out. Well I was talking with a service guy and he asked what type of fuel I was using. I told him 92 he told me to switch to 87 that will help if not totally stop the temp light from coming on.

I just want to know if this is true.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Why were you running gas that has an octane rating that high. You would be fine running 87 unless you have really high compression. I would start using 87 and change out the coolant. Maybe it has some crappy coolant that isnt any good for some reason. Change it to some Engine Ice and see if that cools it off.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

If you are running lean, your engine will run hotter, have you opened up your intake some how, & or added or modified your exhaust, without rejetting ???

If your radiator cap was not tightened to the 2nd notch, or your machine has gotten hot enough to warp the filler neck, or there is some other issue that keeps your cooling system from building pressure, your engine will run hot...

If your thermostat has stuck partway between open & closed, you'll run hot...

BTW... even if you think you have your radiator clean, it's nearly impossible to get it fully clean, with out removing it... I like to use a waterproof flashlight one one side when I'm cleaning, to better see through the fins... some types of mud, will leave a film on the radiator that insulates it, even if it looks clean... lots of people have started using "etching" type mag wheel cleaner to remove this film... with good results ( I personally wouldn't use it too often however, as "etching" types of cleaners may eat through the radiator after lots of use... some of our souther brothers have started using a "pitch blend" cleaner / sealer sprayed onto the ATV to keep things from filming up, after they have cleaned the radiator with the etching cleaner...

BTW # 2... I've found that adding an oil cooler really helps on the kawi V Twins...

Old 09-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input I'm off tomorrow and I'm changing coolant to Engine Ice and switching to 87 gas. I also plan to look at the radiator again to make sure it is cleaned out. Then I'll be riding all weekend !!!!!

Old 09-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

And make sure your cooling fan comes on when radiator coolant reaches no higher than 196 F.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey I finally switched the fuel and bought the Engine Ice. But now I cant figure out how to drain the coolant. Anbody have instructions on how to do this.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

The easiest way to disconnect the coolant hose at the water pump outlet which is located where your left foot would be as you sit on the quad (just below recoil start). There is a 1" dia black coolant hose (with clamp) that goes all the way to the bottom of the radiator. Just loosen the clamp at the water pump side.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sharp sticks work really well for draining the Rad (Apparently). I used Water wetter in mine and the fan comes on about half as much as before.