Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter

can i put a universal k&n clamp-on air filter on my kawisaki mojave if so wut should i jet it? also can i put a choke right on my carburetor if so where can i by one.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default air filter

You shouldnt have to rejet with just adding a K&N filter

Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default air filter

ok i was just wondering b/c im taking the airbox and stuff off so i thought that i might have to rejet or something b/c i really dont know anything when it comes to carburetors.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default air filter

I cant be sure if your taaking your airbox off. But i know for sure, by replacing a stock filter with a K&N, there is no need to rejet

Old 10-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default air filter

No bigger jet means, no more fuel and no gain in power. Air alone can't make power (except the windmill... but we've got an internal combustion engine under the seat). You have to burn more fuel to make more power. However, you may experience better throttle response (but peak power output is the same).

Old 10-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default air filter

Unless you want to loose alot of power and mess things up dont put a clamp on filter on your bike.......the mojo engines need velocity and you cannot get any with a clamp on.....if you want more power either get a cwr filter kit or take the snorkel off your air box and put some of those uni vents in the 2nd box of the assembly(the one without the filter int it).....

Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default air filter

You can buy a dyno jet kit and play with the needle in your carb because just the air filter won't do much good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default air filter

A k&n filter alone WILL give you an increase in hp. The catch is on an ATV, with an average of 40-60hp stock, you only gain 1/2 to a max of about 2 hp with just more airflow alone. But if your like me, you will take what you can get![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default air filter

Well, after searching through many threads about Mojaves on a couple of forums and seeing pretty much the same responses as I see hear I decided to put a Uni-filter on my carb.
The quad was running a bit rich in stock form. The entire spark plug was black. Not sutty black but black. I started by drilling 6 holes in the rear of the stock pipe. Didn't seem to make much difference except for a slight change in sound. I rode it like that for one day and checked my plug again. Didn't seem to change much. I then removed the airbox and installed a dual stage Uni I just happened to have laying around. The problem w/ putting the Uni on is it doesn't want to stay on the carb. Ther is no lip on the carb to hold it in place. I tacked 2 rings on the filter clamp and used a spring to hold the the filter on the carb. I went out for another ride. Didn't really notice any change in throttle response but the top end was better. I think the biggest plus for removing the airbox(resonator) is you get a deep growl from the intake. Reminds me of the sound my zx636 made. Plug is a nice tan color now.
After all that, I would say just adding a clamp on filter will not require a rejet. I will also recommend that you not use a k&n filter b/c it doesn't filter as good as a foam filter and the foam filter can be bought for half what the k&n costs. . If you are going to run a k&n at least get an outerwear for it.
I also left the stock filter housing so the average person couldn't walk up and tell I had just a clamp on.