Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 bf

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 bf

i am in the market for a new ride have read all what the makers have to say but as we all know it really comes down to personal choice.i have had seat time on most of 600"s and 700"s like the kaw 750's power but wasnt crazy about the handling here the 650's better yalls input will be appreciated

Old 10-31-2006, 03:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 bf

Which 650 are asking about? The 650 sra or the 650i with irs?

Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 bf

Yes, which one are you referring to?

Hey MRM, we have the same ride and I just ordered a set of 25" Bighorns. How do you like them and what did the Dyna CDI do for you also? I'm thinking of getting one to make up for the lost power I expect from using the heavier tires.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 bf

I have only been on a couple of short rides with the bighorns but so far I am impressed. I was running 26" mudlites and did not like the way it handled with the 10" wide front tires or the way they were on hardpack. The bighorns made the ride alot more sporty and the steering is a lot better with 8" wide fronts. I am also impressed with the traction the horns get. In straight line drag run my mudlites would just spin forever and I was worried the bighorns would have problems because they are 10" wide in back, lites were 12". That was not the case, the bighorns hooked up much better. I didn't try deep mud but thats not why I got the horns , climbing up the wet creek banks where I ride they did great, handled slick wooded trails well too. Great trail tire. The cdi was a big improvement, very pleased. I had been using the moose module and the cdi takes it to a new level. At $200 or less the dyna has a lot bang for the buck IMO.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default 650 bf

That's good to hear. I had the Moose module awhile ago. I liked it for what it did for the low end but I knew that a CDI would be better overall when I got new tires so I sold it. As far as tires, I debated between the Bighorns and the Kenda Bounty Hunters. I couldn't find enough long-term reviews for the Bounty Hunters and I knew the stellar reputation of the Bighorns. Then I saw a pic of your Brute on Nyroc's website with the Bighorns and said, that's it - that's what my Brute would look like. That looks great. I ordered the ITP 5 series wheel. Same difference.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 650 bf

sory should have been more specific the irs

Old 11-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default 650 bf

Well, if you didn't like the BF750's handling I don't know that you'll like the BF650i's handling any better. They're both IRS (independent rear suspsension). The Prairie 700 and regular BF650 are both SRA (solid rear axle). The ride on an SRA is not as plush as an IRS but it gives you more control and rider feedback in my opinion. It's more of a sportier ride. With the SRA you can power slide all day long. I love the SRA and won't change until they stop making them. Another slight advantage of the IRS is you get a bit more ground clearance. I rode a guy's Grizzly (IRS) on gravel along some railroad tracks. The ride was definitely more plush and more comfortable than my Brute but I didn't like the way it steered and handled. I'm just too used to the SRA of my Brute. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my BF650 SRA. Awesome machine. Very fast, handles great, so much fun. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default 650 bf

The newer 750 now has the same double-wishbone (or A-arm) set up as the 650 IRS and they handle about the same, if not exactly the same.

750/650 IRS - Pick this one if your typical riding area terrain is rocky/rough/muddy and you can't or don't want to ride too fast especially when cornering, and you would rather want to enjoy plush ride. Think of driving an Escalade.

650 SRA - Pick this one if your typical riding area is rather flat/smooth, some tight hairpin turns, and you want to do WOT as often as possible with some power sliding whenever opportunity comes up. Think of driving a Corvette.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Range Rover
Default 650 bf

scratch the escalade. more like an 84 explorer.
not the best ride.
not the greatest handling.
you'd think we would have got one or the other.