Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BF650 Fan and Elec. Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF650 Fan and Elec. Brake Problems

I have a 2005 BF650. A buddy and I were out yesterday, and I ran into the first problems I have had with this machine. First, the hi engine temp light started flashing. I shut off the machine and noticed that the fan was not running. First place I checked was the fan breaker switch under the seat. I noticed that the breaker had not tripped, but as soon as I started playing with the wires, the fan started right up. Moving the wires back and forth I could get the fan to shut off and turn on. I found a spot where it seemed to be happy and wedged the wires so they would not move. Never had a problem for the rest of the day. Any thoughts on this? Thought I might take the connection apart and add a little electrical grease.
About half a mile later after restarting, I heard a very loud bang, and after having the hi temp light come on, I thought the worse. It also sounded like I had hit the metal footrests with a rock. It was so loud my buddy on his bike behind me said he heard it. I immediately stopped to investigate. I found no visual issues, so tried starting the bike, but a loud rattling noise was coming from the electric brake attached to the top of the cluth cover. When reved higher, the rattling went away. I did notice that the electric brake was no longer slowing the bike down while going down the hills. But it still does make the retracting sound when the bike is shut down. There is no difference when driving the bike itself, would never know anything is broke. Anyone have any thoughts on this or had anything like this happen to them????? Have not taken the little motor on the top of the clutch off yet, waiting to hear if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks, Brent

Old 11-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Trailblazer

I had some problems with my fan but could never exactly pinpoint the problem, I cleaned and greased all the connections from the breaker to the fan switch and havent had any more problems. The engine brake on mine gave me some trouble the first week I had my quad, engine brake stopped working and wouldn"t shift from 2-4wd, 2wd 4wd light was flashing back and forth. The fuse for the kebc under the seat was very dirty from some deep mud and water and I cleaned out the fuse block and reinstalled the fuses with elecric grease and erverything worked fine. If the kebc actuator itself fails you should get the flashing 2wd4wd light , the flashing light is an error code. I have read where some people have also had dirt and water get into the actuator and have been able to clean it out and get it to work.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

I have also been having problems with my fan as well. It only turns on when it wants. I cleaned and greased all the connections that I could find and I even took the fan out and tested it. Started the Brute up and the fan worked after a few minutes. Then, out on the trails it didn't work and I overheated. So I went out a bought a LT-R 450 to ride.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But seriously, I would like to know what the hell the problem is.