Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

kfx400 jetting help!!! (dynojet)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kfx400 jetting help!!! (dynojet)

ok so i went out to get a LVPK ( lynn vick power kit ) which includes K&N Service Kit, Dynojet Carb. Jet Kit, Outerwears Pre Charger, and K&N Filter Charger Air Filter....i thought it would be pretty simple, and i take it that it is, but im a mechanical noob...i just know how to ride them to the max, but not exactly fix em to the max...stage 2 dynojet kit : remove air box lid..DONE...remove vacuum slide from carb..was that black pipe right? DONE...then it says remove stock needle & spacers...if im doing it at the correct place, which is inside the carb where there's a black thing that when you move it up and down it sounds like it's breathing, then it would be weird because the needle is vertical, do i twist it off or something?, or do i have to remove the black cover on top do work on it? in that case i think i have to remove the gas tank or something because the black cover on top has minimum room to remove the screws...in short, did i remove the correct "vacuum slide" right? am i in the right area to work on? is the needle "inside the carb where it sounds like it breathes when you move it" the one i have to remove? and do i have to remove the black cover on top in order to replace stock stuff with new stuff?...LOT OF STUFF FELLAS BUT HELP A NOOB OUT....thanks guys, ps. other than this stuff, i got the rest pretty much under control...please reply asap because im working on it tomorrow!!

Old 04-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

take the carb right off the first time your jetting. Its the easiest way to figure out everything and take it apart. The needle is under the black lid on the top of the carb. Use needle nose plyers and grab the plastic holder thing and pull it up( be careful theres a lil spring in there that will shoot out and you wont find it.

remove vaccum slide from the carb??? i dont understand why you have to do that

do you have an exhaust your puttin on with this power kit?? if not your really doing all this work and not getting a real good gain, you should feel a bit more power with the lid off, but nothing huge.

what main jet are you using?? i suggest using a 160dj main jet then go down til it gets better Needle should be on 3rd groove and air screw 2 turns out. You really need to read up on it and figure out what each part does and when each is in use, so you can diagnose the problem and fix it accordingly.

search on google for z400 carb jetting help, msg me and ill give you the exact site with pictures and instructions for every step.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah it said remove vacuum slide....i seriously doubt that removing the entire carb is necessary to do this but it would be so much easier to have it in front of you than to be in such a tight place, ima take a look at it right now to see how many bolts it has and stuff, yeah im going to put a FMF exhaust on it too...it should get here on monday...i wouldn't do all this and not put a sick *** exhaust too you know....right now ima try removing the lid that's on top of the carb to see whats up in there....do you have aol messenger? it would be easier to talk to you that way....

Old 04-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

oh yeah forgot to tell you, I have a 2006 KFX400....don't know if it matters