Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have a comments on the reliability of their Mojaves? My brother had a '94 model and it didn't have any major problems for the year that he owned it. The only thing it did do was have some fits of hard starting and dripped oil out of the air box. I would like to hear other people's experiences since I am looking to buy a new Mojave this spring.

Old 12-23-2000, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine since March and I have had absolutely no problems other than a minor problem with the carb falling off due to an inferior clamp. I absolutely love the machine and so far in the snow it's an absolute blast! We don't get much snow in St. Joseph MO but here lately we have had about 7 inches on the ground for the last 2 weeks.

Old 12-23-2000, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have a 99 mojave and rode it a good bit never had any problems with it yet. starts right up first kick.

Old 12-27-2000, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

Well that is good to hear. I figure after 15 years they should have all the bugs worked out.I was researching old posts on the Honda forum and one lady said the Mojave's had a tendency to wear valves. Anyone heard of this? Is it a valid point?

Old 12-27-2000, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mojaves use to have a serious problem with eating cams and heads. I do not know if kawi fixed the head oiling problem or not. The exhaust cam is the last thing to get oiled and the first to fail. Earlier models also had a weak bearing in rearend and Kawi changed to taper bearings in 91'-92'(had exact brg and seals as a Warrior) My 90'mojave has a low knock just off idle but has been there for years and runs great. I have been trying to blow it up so I can do the EX500 conversion but it is hanging in there.

Old 12-27-2000, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

How long did it take for the exhaust cam problem do develop? What models years were effected? Aside from the rear bearings and knock it sounds like your machine has not had many problems.

Old 12-28-2000, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have two mojaves, 89 and 94. both have been reliable, I mean rock solid. I have heard of people having trouble with cams but have not experienced it. My 89 still has the original cam and it shows no wear. Recently i checked it with a mike and a dial indicator, right on specs. Not sure about a change in rear bearings because my 89 and 94 both use the same sealed rear bearings, no taper. I believe the new ones also use the same bearing as well. Never had any trouble with them either, just changed them because they were so old. Old ones were ok when removed. Mojave is a lot of quad for the price and about as fun as you can get, handles great, jumps great, wheelies and slides with no problem. Also takes mods very well and can be made very fast. They are not for a big guy however, suited more for the small guys.

Old 12-29-2000, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

I'm pretty sold on the Mojave but I can't help doing some research on it. For the price I agree with you about it being a lot of quad for the money. Now I just have to save up so I can buy it this spring. Hopefully by then Suzuki will have released info about their new sport quad. I bet that quad will be in the $5700 range so unless it is awesome and comes with reverse gear I'll go with the Mojave. Maybe by next year Kawasaki will come out with a new sport quad.

Old 12-31-2000, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

Well take it from a larger guy.. i am 6'2" and 230lbs and have no size problems with me.. i have ridder alot of warriors and i think that the mojave is a great bike... i own a 2001 it is a very strong runner

Old 01-03-2001, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 91 mojave. I purchased it in parts and replaced both intake valves. They were worn a little and decided to change them. I would like more info on this eating cams idea. Is mine affected. When I put my all together the cams looked fine. I even pulled the cover off the top and watched the oil. It looks like every things is getting tons of oil. The intake valves much more than the exhaust thought

Quick Reply: Mojave reliability?