Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

06 brute force 650

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:34 AM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 brute force 650

Need some help on changing out my sons front left outer cv boot on his Kaw? I have the axle out of the carrier just do not want to take out of front differental? HELPPPPPPPP!!!! Take Care!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to remove the front diff to get the axles out. You need to hold the axle parallel to the ground and ****** it. The ONLY thing hold that axle into the housing is a small ring clip. The sharp pulling motion is how you take the axle out of the housing. Depending upon the attitude of your atv, you might want to put a drain pan under it if you didn't drain the fluid. It is not necessary to drain it, but then again that all depends on how your atv is sitting.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 PM
UTU
Pro Rider

I did not make my question clear, to replace the outer cv boot does the axle have to come out of the differentel or does the outer cv joint come off the axle leavining the axle and inner cv joint still on the differental/quad??? helppp. thanks for the reply! Perry

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: newbruterider

You don't have to remove the front diff to get the axles out. You need to hold the axle parallel to the ground and ****** it. The ONLY thing hold that axle into the housing is a small ring clip. The sharp pulling motion is how you take the axle out of the housing. Depending upon the attitude of your atv, you might want to put a drain pan under it if you didn't drain the fluid. It is not necessary to drain it, but then again that all depends on how your atv is sitting.</end quote></div>

Old 06-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

you NEED to do both. Getting the cv joint off isn't going to be easy if its still attached to the machine... Just pull the entire axle straight out of the housing. You CAN replace the outer cv joint boot with the axle still attached, but you're just making it harder. Yes the cv joint does come off the axle, but how are you going to tap it off (with a plastic mallet) if its still inbetween the upper and lower A-arms? Even if you have the room you don't want to go banging on the end of you axle while its still attached to the front differential, because you have to tap it back on.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:38 PM
UTU
Pro Rider

I took the axle out and put in a vise and gave it a few good whacks. Has not come off yet. so the outer cv joing does tap off the axle while in a vise? right???? Help!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

I held mine with my hand, but yes, the joint does tap off. You're going to have to use more pressure than a TAP.. Are you replacing the joint also, or just the boot?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:59 PM
UTU
Pro Rider

just the boot outer left front. I gave it some good wacks with a rubber hammer. has not came off yet????

Old 06-20-2007, 11:38 PM
UTU
Pro Rider

HELPPPPP!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

Beating on it with a hammer is not the solution! If you take the two straps holding the inner boot on the axle slide the inner boot down clean the grease from the inside of the cup you will see a big snap ring pull the snap ring out and the ball assembly will come out with the axle shaft. On the top of the axle and ball assembly there is another small snap ring pull the snap ring off and slide ball assembly off the axle shaft. (may need to TAP the ball assembly with a rubber hammer) Slide inner boot off, then you can replace the outer boot. Reverse for reassembly.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 AM
UTU
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies and info. got it back together THANKS!!! Wonder why Kaw made it that way. Looks like they could have put the snap rings on the outer cv joint too? Thanks again and be safe!!

Quick Reply: 06 brute force 650