Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BF 750 sputters when gets wet

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007 | 08:53 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default BF 750 sputters when gets wet

hey guys my BF is an 05, it sputters and backfires when I ride through water , like hitting it not just creeping along, what is geting wet to cause this?
and what can I do to fix the prob??? any advice is help. thanks

Old 07-09-2007 | 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stormseeker

hey guys my BF is an 05, it sputters and backfires when I ride through water , like hitting it not just creeping along, what is geting wet to cause this?

and what can I do to fix the prob??? any advice is help. thanks</end quote></div>

Generally it will skip and backfire if you suck water in the air intake. Find the leak.

Old 07-11-2007 | 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

I have on 05 and it sputtters because it is sucking in steam. It clears a few seconds after exiting the water.

Old 07-20-2007 | 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

I have an '06 750 that I was embarrassed to go on Poker Runs with because I would have to sneak up on the water holes. If my bike saw a rain shower it would sputter. I put a snorkle kit on and that was the answer. It was a $200 kit and a day of work because I am not the most agile of hands. Not only can I get through water up to the seat with no problem, the air filter stays clean a lot longer. No kidding, I can go through mud holes over the seat, just watch your rad from overheating.
Must have mod for a 750.

Old 07-22-2007 | 12:03 PM
|
Trailblazer

wow I was thinking like bad wire or coil leakingsomehow, I did clean my air box and cound alot of water and debris in the box., huh guess most of it really is water, without going to a snorkel what else can i do to make the intake higher up?? I dont really go into mud that deep that much , just got a suprize hole !!
and I really dont want a snorkel sticking out of my bike .. any ideas .

Old 07-22-2007 | 12:17 PM
Range Rover

A lot of folks don't want pipes sticking up through there racks and don't generally ride in water that deep, so one option is to wrap the area in front of the air box (where the air intake is) with some sort of rubber, like a big old inner-tube. If done well, this will keep most of the splashes away from your airbox intake and make a big improvement. You can use zip ties to do this so it can be easily removed later. I winched mine up and stood it on its tail with the front wheels in the air and it made this process much easier.
Another thing to think about is cleaning the contacts on both of your coils and then sealing them with RTV (let it dry for a couple of days b4 use). Also make sure your plug boots are not torn and add some dielectric grease to the inside of them.
Most of the time it is the water/steam causing the issue though. Wrapping the area in front of the air box will probably help you significantly.
Mike

Old 07-22-2007 | 12:34 PM
|
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mikeames

A lot of folks don't want pipes sticking up through there racks and don't generally ride in water that deep, so one option is to wrap the area in front of the air box (where the air intake is) with some sort of rubber, like a big old inner-tube. If done well, this will keep most of the splashes away from your airbox intake and make a big improvement. You can use zip ties to do this so it can be easily removed later. I winched mine up and stood it on its tail with the front wheels in the air and it made this process much easier.

Another thing to think about is cleaning the contacts on both of your coils and then sealing them with RTV (let it dry for a couple of days b4 use). Also make sure your plug boots are not torn and add some dielectric grease to the inside of them.

Most of the time it is the water/steam causing the issue though. Wrapping the area in front of the air box will probably help you significantly.

Mike</end quote></div>

Hey thanks Mike for the ideas that will be a project for this week ! I will try thatand grease the boots also. have a good time thanks all

Old 07-28-2007 | 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

Did the options other than snorkling work? Just a reminder that snorkling also keeps your air filter clean a lot longer than you are currently used to. Now that I have snorkled, I would recommend it 100%. Just my humble opinion.

Old 07-28-2007 | 12:32 PM
|
Trailblazer

well I am not sure, I went to West Va. ( yea Ive heard all the jokes ) and had a really great time, just one more problem, I ran outta gas!! way much trails and the dirt roads are laid out like race tracks ! power slidind every cornner at 35 - 50 !!!! awsome, I did get a suprize mud hole but got going quickly couldnt tell, must have hit it too fast! mostly get the troubles when my wife fireballs the river crossings , or I sink it pretty good , I guess i have to ride some more to tell if the water in box was the cause. just cant get over all the fun in west va. I have never rode up to a gas station on my quad, or up to a diner and ordered a burger !!! too kool !