Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Write-up of Sand Drags at Can-Am Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Write-up of Sand Drags at Can-Am Nationals

FastFatBoy (Jay) and I met at the Can-Am Nationals event near Corsicana, TX yesterday to compete in the dirt drag races. Below is a little write-up of this event...

FASTFATBOY

First off, I have to say it was great fun to finally meet and race with Jay after chatting with him on various atv forums for the last few years. I was VERY impressed with his drag Prairie (Fundy 730)...it was everything I was expecting it to be and more...it looked lean and mean, sounded awesome and ran fast! Jay and I have been looking for a place in TX to meet up and drag race our quads since last Spring when we both installed BBKs in our quads.

PRAIRIE 730 VS. TWINPEAKS 800

During practice this morning, Jay and I raced each other a few times...much to my surprise, I was able to beat his quad both times (not by alot...maybe 1 quad length or less). Once the dirt drag races began, we raced another 2 or 3 times and I was able to beat him every time, but it was VERY CLOSE. I would only beat him by about 1/2 quad or less during the last few runs we had. No doubt, his Fundy 730 is very strong...he even let me ride it and I thought HOLY COW, this thing is so much different than a normal quad...the front end is strapped down and the rear swingarm has a 4" extension...very cool! I'm sure our race results would have been different if Jay and I weighed the same (I think he weighs more than a 100 lbs more than me, so I probably would have gotten spanked bad today if Jay put a smaller rider on his quad! lol)

US VS THEM

Jay and I both entered 2 classes today: 500cc and Up Sport Quads, and the 661cc and Up Ute Class. The only reason we did the sport quad class was it was so small and they were asking for anyone to race them (a DS650 and a 400ex). Needless to say, we killed them easily! lol I took 1st and Jay took 2nd in that class.

The Ute class was pretty big - 12 quads or so (I think). I think Jay was picked to race first (I don't recall who he raced)...they also called my name and another guy to race next, so I lined up behind Jay in the left lane (most people prefered the left lane)...The Outy 800 put up a stink about me getting in the left lane, so I offered it to him...no problem I said (he put up a big fuss for nothing IMO)...but he insisted we get an official and flip a coin for the lanes...ok I said. He won the toss and took the left lane. I didn't really care about getting the right lane, but it irked me that he made a big stink about it...well, I beat that Outy 800 right off the bat and stared him down as I blew past him!!! I even STOOD STRAIGHT up the last 1/2 of the track to prove my point...it was not even close! LOL Next thing I know, the Outy started crying about how unfair it was that me and Jay were racing in that class...he complained to the officials and to us too! What a baby! This guy was like 40 y.o., but acted like he was 10! LOL

...they eventually made me and Jay sit out while others raced each other...later, we raced the ones left (not the crybaby guy) plus some Renegades. One renegade was stock and others beat him easily...the other renegade was driven by a guy named Seth Russell of Team Bad Company. Seth's renegade was VERY fast and I give him props for that. Seth would not admit to any internal upgrades. lol (not that it matters, but I've raced Shawn Hess's modded renegade several times this year in my XC races, so I'm quite sure Seth had something special done to his Renegade...no way it was stock internally). Seth admitted it had a pipe and a "chip" (probably a dobeck)...but other than that, he denied any other motor work.

I raced that renegade 4 times...I ended up winning 2 and he won 2. The way it worked was double elimination...he jumped the line on the 1st run and he beat me barely...he admitted jumping the line to me, so I asked for a re-run and he was cool with it. The next time, I beat him and I sat out while everyone raced each other. Last guy standing was this renegade...he had to beat me twice they said to win and I say...no need, just do 1 race, winner takes the class. he said ok of course. i beat him by 1 foot (1/2 tire)...very close race...anyway, i even went ont he side of the track where the winners go and he went the way the losers go...I got to the starting line all happy (b/c I won the final round)...BUT they officials at end of track said the renegade won!?! I told them no way...so they asked the renegade and he said "I'm not sure, it was so close!"...total BS!

We raced once more and he got a better start than me...he barely won and so he took 1st in our class, i got 2nd and Jay got 3rd. Fun day, but I think my quad was just as fast as that modded renegade...kinda disappointed that I didn't beat him on the last race. Oh well, that's racing...you can't win them all!

CONCLUSION

I'd like to say THANKS to JAY for all the drag racing tips! I don't know much about drag racing and he was very helpful. All in all, the Kaw. V-twins took the top 2 spots in the Sport quad Class and 2 of the top 3 spots in the 661cc and Up Ute Class...not a bad showing for the Kawies! LOL

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Congrads on the races and great write up. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Nice to see those kawies teaching others lessons in power......LOL.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thanx for the props...I'm heading out of town to another race tomorrow afternoon...going to Plain Dealing, LA (north of Shreveport) for a XC race on Sunday. Wish me luck!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider

So, what kind of HP and torque does your motor put out? If I were guessing, maybe in te 70's or better. Also, do you know what Jay's HP and torque numbers are? Just wonder.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

700vtwinman,

I put my quad on a Superflow chassis dyno this summer...that dyno said it made 72.7 hp at the rear wheels. I was shocked and not expecting that much HP...after speaking to other folks, I think the Superflow brand dyno might be a little inflated as compared to other dyno numbers...but hard to say for sure. I'm guessing that FastFatBoy's quad is probably similar in hp numbers.

All I know is its running very strong right now. I hit 79 on the speedo on the highway in front of the dyno shop this summer and it pulls very hard from 0 to topspeed. Just knowing that I put this motor together by myself makes me feel pretty good.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Dude, that is totally awesome. Congrads on the quad and doing it yourself. Not sure if I have the patience to do something like that, so I commend you for that.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanx for the kind words. If you wanted the performance of a BBK badly enuf, I'm sure you could install one. If I can do it with the limited tools that I have, most anyone can do it. Heck, I don't even have a workbench or vice in my garage! lol

Old 10-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

I would be afraid to do that to my bf750 b/c of the handling. However, if I put some WORKS or ELKA shocks all around, then I might consider that. But my bf750 is now lifted for deep mudding while my polaris 800 X2 is my all around machine. I have actually entertained the thought of buying a used kawie 700 prairie like I used to have and then make in into a racer like yours. Of course I have though about many things lately like buying a UTV, getting a tractor, winning the lotto, moving to Colorado and etc.etc ......LOL. Oh well, maybe the prairie thing is more realistic in comparison to the others....LOL. At least I get to read y'all reports on how y'all do.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stick with your brute 750, i have an 07 750 and with the stock tires on i run 87 mph with no enternal work.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was that a dirt track ? how bad did you beat the ds ? how bad did the ds spin. utilities hook good on dirt , sport quads spin..... just the oppisite in sand.advantage sport bikes....

Quick Reply: Write-up of Sand Drags at Can-Am Nationals