Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Am i to old/big for a 92 bayou 220?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i to old/big for a 92 bayou 220?

i have a 1992 bayou 220 this little machine will out run my old ladys 04 artic cat 400 4x4 on take off. and i was just wondering if i should sell it and get a bigger one or would ya ride it.

i got it 2 weeks ago for 200$ oly thing i did was a full oil/lube/air filter change.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

i also have a prob with it....i have a charged new battery but have no power to any of the lights and the electric starter will not even engage.
It keeps on blowing the fuses ever time i hook the battery up.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It depends on what you want. I have the 220 bayou, a 230 quadsport, and a 250ex. The bayou is not the fastest, not the most powerful, not the easiest to drive and not nearly as much fun, but it has the racks, the hitch, the big 25 inch tires... So I use it all the time. There are a couple times a month that I wish it was 4x4. There are a few times a week I wish it had a lower 1st gear or more lowend grunt, but it gets the job done. It really excells at nothing, but somehow gets you where you want to be. I like the fact that it is small enough to fit around trees and light enough that I can pick up one end of it if I have to. I can fill a 4x4x6ft trailer with logs and drive just about anywhere with it. I can hook up to a car and pull it around the yard... So, what do I need more for? If need be, I'll just use my 4x4 truck for the big jobs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You have a short in your wires somewhere. Is it blowing the fuses as soon as you hook the battery up? Or is it blowing them when you try to use the starter?

Old 10-31-2007, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

darkfoxx you need to get a good service and Repair Shop Manual if you plan on keeping it , i've got a Manual that covers Honda Suzuki Yamaha Kawasaki and Polaris ; but it doesn't cover all model's on the Kawasaki's or any of the other brand's in my book, it just doesn't cover everything on one year make or model it only cover's these model's of the Kawasaki's ( KLT110 , KLF110 , KLT160 , KLT185 , KLF185 , KLT200 , KLT250 , KXT250 , KSF250 and KLF300 ; and it doesn't go into enough detail on the Electrical wiring for any of the quad's in this Intertec ALL - TERRAIN VEHICLE ( ATV ) ! You would need a good O.E.M. , Haynes , Chilton or Clymer Shop Manual , i wish i could help more but you didn't get burnt if $200.00 is all you have in it ; you could get 5 maybe 10 times that amount parting it out on ebay ! Or selling it in one of those trader magazines they sell in the gas and go stores . I have a magazine in front of me right now , it's called Northwest GEORGIA CLASSIFIEDS they sell for 99 cents in the stores and you can list items for sale free of charge ! But if it will run with an 04' Arctic Cat 400 i would ride it myself if you don't ride after dark , i ride an AC myself I bought a new 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 Feb. 7th 2006 the only thing i don't like about my AC 400 are those little dim headlight's they put on the later model's , and they do it on purpose ; to discourage people not to ride after dark ! it's the same size frame and chassis as the 2007 AC700 EFI just has a 376cc Suzuki Engine w/ Suzuki's Duramatic Belt Driven Clutch Transmission and i love the thing ; it has all the power i need to ride in the roughest terrain in North Ga. I can go anywhere the 700 or even the new 2008 ThunderCat 1000 with the 950cc Arctic Cat Engine that's built in the usa in MN. my 400 can go , anywhere it will go ; it just take's longer to get there ! I think the 400 when it's broken in is suppose to run at around 50 to 54 mph that's two 2 times as fast as most of the trail's i ride in Ga. and TN. I'm a 54 yr old man who just like's to ride , and want's to lve to ride at 64 or as long as the good lord let's me ! Do with it what you like and don't let anyone try to talk into thinking it's to small or not powerfull enough because if it will do 50 mph that's 50 times more than enough to get killed on any size atv ! ...........

Old 10-31-2007, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

when i hook the battery up it will blow the fuse that is on the starter relay...i think it is the relay. I have a shop book for it but it does not give me details on the wires because it looks like someone did some splicing on the wires and it has me puzzled. maybe someone here has the colors and where and what each wire from the battery to the other parts do.

But i get no lights or anything even when the quad is running and the head lights have new bulbs but no lights...that seems kinda wacky to me.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider

Yes it could be short at the relay or corrosion in the wiring , if someone did some splicing to add on's to the quad and in proccess hooked to the wrong wire that could've shorted something while trying to add accessories to the quad and crossed wired something to cause the short , you will have to trace the wires with an digital and a anolog meter untill you find the short ; because just adding part's as you go it can and will cost you some big money ! If you just knew someone like a friend or a shop you could trust who know how to use the meter's for trouble shooting to find the wire or part that's bad in the electrical system , it could be something very simple ; when it come's to trouble shooting the electrical curcuit on quad's i get lost unless it's very simple and i would do everthing i could to walk you through the proccess but the machanical area is what i know best ! But hang in there someone should jump in here any moment with step by step instruction's and what test meter's you need to check thing's out , i sure hope you find it ; and it doesn't cost much to repair and good luck ! ......

Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

unhook the starter relay to start with then replace teh fuse and see if it still blows the fuse, or pull the wiring harness loose from the frame and then wiggle the harness with a new fuse in and the battery connected and when it blows you know you are on the right track.

As far as you being to big or old for it, Ill put it to you this way, my grandpa would still ride my 87 moto 4 80cc when he was 75 and 350 lbs and it would still get him around. I still ride my 85 moto 4 250 but it is a little weak on hills and I cant ride it as fast as I can my wolverine. But it is still fun and as justrandy says it will do the job for a little work around the house.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Range Rover

You are never tooo old to ride!!

Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

There is a thread in here somewhere that describes how to start the 220 in any gear... No neutral. It involves taking the relay out. Maybe you can give that a shot. I did the mod to mine a while back n it sure is nice not to have to find neutral when I want to start.

Just search keywords "220" "relay" "neutral" etc.