Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Wheel Slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Slip

I'm not sure exactly how to explain the issue I'm having, but I'll give it a try...

I just bought a BruteForce 750 EFI. I was pulling my kid on a sled in the backyard with it tonight. The snow is melting pretty fast, so the snow was really wet and heavy. I had the BF in 2 wheel drive only. When it began to get bogged down in the snow, (this is where it gets hard to explain) it was as if the back wheels would grip then slip, grip then slip, very quickly. Kind of like pulsing. It wasn't a true, smooth spin out... The front wheels seem to do this as well when I lock in the differential and I'm in deep snow.

Does anybody know what I'm trying to explain, and is this normal?

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Wheel Slip

I think I know what you mean. The driveline winds up and then the tires spin, then it winds up again, then spins again. This usually happens on trucks with leaf springs. The axle turns and the springs wind up and force the axle to turn back and the tires bounce all over. The solution for trucks is a 4-point ladder bar or a long torque arm to keep the axle from rotating. Why your quad would be doing that I don't know. Maybe the tires are low on air? Maybe there is too much slop in your driveline? Maybe its just normal. My 2wd bayou will do it every now n then, but not very often and never bad enough to ever go ask somebody about it. Usually it happens when I'm stuck in mud and have to stand on the back rack and jump. The tires get traction intermitently.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wheel Slip

Hey JustRandy,

Interesting info. I'll definitly check the tire pressure in the morning to see if it's that simple. It seems to "hop" about 3-4 times per second. Still sound like a driveline wind up?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Wheel Slip

Sounds like it is, but where its coming from is up to you to figure out. It could be the shocks, linkage bearings, transmission, tires,,, anything... Maybe jack the quad up and rotate the tires back n forth real hard and try to spot where the play is. And not just loose play, but spring-loaded play. Something that will store energy and release it like a spring.

What you're describing rings a bell with me because I've had tons of experience with 4x4 trucks and axles.... and those symptoms are classic. Here's a link that has a pic showing what happens to leaf springs under load. http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/tractionbars.htm This will cause exactly what you are describing.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wheel Slip

I stopped at a friend's today who has the exact same year and model as mine, and his wheels do the exact same thing. Must be normal...

Old 03-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Wheel Slip

I don't know if its normal, but it appears they all have the same problem.